• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for old Apple II game, need expert help

Can you all describe it a bit more? This was an Apple II game? Color/black and white? What angle was the view of the game? What happens in the game while you play? I'm becoming a bit of a broken record but you could search mobygames.com under Apple II and start looking for similar titles/descriptions. I found one with a little miss muffet scenario, but that was a mother goose game and doesn't sound like it would be the compilation you all are referring to.

It was similar in style to this-in fact at first look I thought it might be this game:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-8-bit/bomber-attack

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/bomber-attack/screenshots/gameShotId,532931/

I wish I could add something more to this thread. I've been checking here for several years, hoping that someone would remember the name of the 'bomber' game. I just wanted to let you guys know that you're not alone...I've searched for ever for the name of this game too. Please keep up the search.

Any additional memories/details might help the others and yourself figure it out. Unfortunately I didn't play much Apple ware back in the day nor did our town have a computer in the school at the time until later.

Oh man! I've been looking for this game for years as well!!!

I've also been looking for a simulation game where you are in control of a city, and you have to stop pollution. You have a budget that you can use to make small changes to the city, but you can't run out of money either. The game is mostly a singe picture of this city, but as you make changes, they appear on the screen. You hope that the smog clears up et cetera. I never beat it, and I've wanted a crack at it as an adult.

These were such great games. I'm really glad to know that I'm not the only nut thinking about these things :)

I just remembered this game tonight and found this thread hoping to get some hint of where I could find it. Back in fourth grade I actually wrote a little book showing where to drop the bombs in order to find the flags.

According to a 2005 post from this SomethingAwful thread (http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3428524&userid=72565), the game was indeed called "BOMBER" but it appears to have been a part of an MECC series that is hard to find online for some reason.

Full quote from the post if you don't want to follow the link:
=============================================================================================================================================
You're looking for "BOMBER" in the MECC Elementary Volume series or Mathematics Volume series. It has to be in Elementary 8, 11, or 12 or Mathematics 2 or 3, none of which I can find.
=============================================================================================================================================

I not only know the name of this game, but I actually OWN it. Much like all of you, I was searching throughout the internet for it for a long time before I finally caught a break and found it listed on an old school website as a piece of software that they owned. I took a shot in the dark and contacted the person who ran the website, and she was willing to sell it to me. Well, I have it, but the dream is still not doing so well because, as others have mentioned it is demo software and I can't even get into the game. It's prompting me to register.

So, the name of the game you seek... Math Facts Tracker. It was on a double-sided disk with a game called Keyboarding Klass on the other side. Just to show you that I know what I'm talking about...

The addition game was a grand prix style top-down game
The subtraction game was a truck driving side-view game
The multiplication game was a bomber game (hell yeah)
The division game I believe was some sort of maze game.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help me figure out how to get this game into ROM form and bypass the registration (the company, which I believe is actually NOT MECC, is out of business), please let me know. I'm down.

Holy crap, good work! With the post before, I doubted that it was from the MECC Elementary or Mathematics series because the games in those series were very primitive. I doubted they had coders that would be able to do an arcade style game like the bomber game (at least in the time period of those disks).

I have found some items on breaking the protection on the Mastery Development apps:
http://macgui.com/usenet/?author=Obsbedia2&group=1&id=187975#msg

And one specifically for Math Facts Tracker (via a large PDF download):
http://archive.org/details/computist-scan-84

It looks like the complete list of titles are:
Geo Race USA
Keyboarding Klass
Mastery Arithmetic Games
Math Facts Tracker
I wonder if the Mastery Arithmetic Games has the Miss Muffet and math RPG game on them?
I also remember a geography game where you fly a plane around an overhead view of the USA, I wonder if that is Geo Race USA?

Now as far as converting the disk to a ROM / disk image file, you might want to start off in the Virtual Apple forums:
http://www.virtualapple.org/support.html

Keep us posted now this may have finally surfaced!

Holy crap, good work! With the post before, I doubted that it was from the MECC Elementary or Mathematics series because the games in those series were very primitive. I doubted they had coders that would be able to do an arcade style game like the bomber game (at least in the time period of those disks).

I have found some items on breaking the protection on the Mastery Development apps:
http://macgui.com/usenet/?author=Obsbedia2&group=1&id=187975#msg

And one specifically for Math Facts Tracker (via a large PDF download):
http://archive.org/details/computist-scan-84

It looks like the complete list of titles are:
Geo Race USA
Keyboarding Klass
Mastery Arithmetic Games
Math Facts Tracker
I wonder if the Mastery Arithmetic Games has the Miss Muffet and math RPG game on them?
I also remember a geography game where you fly a plane around an overhead view of the USA, I wonder if that is Geo Race USA?

Now as far as converting the disk to a ROM / disk image file, you might want to start off in the Virtual Apple forums:
http://www.virtualapple.org/support.html

Keep us posted now this may have finally surfaced!

I will keep you posted! Thanks for the find on the support articles. I am definitely going to boot that son of bitch up this week and see if I can get it working. We'll see about roms after that.

Just so you know - Geo Race USA, yep - that's the one you're looking for. I remember that one too.

That "bomber" game actually seems vaguely familiar. I think I have played it. Same with the Miss Muffet game. I seem to picture the game looking slightly like this picture i'm attaching. Not the art, obviously, but the viewpoint and perspective of Miss Muffet.

I also vaguely remember a game that had something to do with a conveyor belt in a "widget factory"

I think what you're looking for is Rocky's Boots. I was trying to figure out the name for a while, too.

muffet.jpg

stroupnp,
Did you get a chance to play around with the disk at all?

offensive_Jerk,
Actually I think the game is not Rocky's Boots, but The Factory from Sunburst Software.
That "bomber" game actually seems vaguely familiar. I think I have played it. Same with the Miss Muffet game. I seem to picture the game looking slightly like this picture i'm attaching. Not the art, obviously, but the viewpoint and perspective of Miss Muffet.

I think what you're looking for is Rocky's Boots. I was trying to figure out the name for a while, too.

View attachment 12183

Not trying to take away from this thread, but does anyone remember Coast to Coast for Apple IIe? I have the manuals and keyboard overlay but I can't seem to find the software in my collection of disks. It says CBS software and the overlay was from Neosoft 1984. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth selling. I'm getting some Apple stuff ready to sell off soon.

stroupnp,
Did you get a chance to play around with the disk at all?

So I got it out and booted it up and I must admit, I am a little clueless when it comes to even rudimentary hacking (see: using) an apple iie. I understand what the pdf is suggesting regarding altering the code and I also understand the other articles suggestion to cntl+reset to get to a * prompt, but that is not working. Also, I don't know the name of a hex editing program that I would be able to use to modify the code, or even one that could copy the disk for me so that I can safely alter the code without potentially hosing the original.

So, that's where I'm at. I would definitely appreciate any tips someone can give. I do have a ProDOS 3.3 disk, but that is the only other disk I have for the apple.

Also, to elaborate, when I use the ctrl+reset method, it just boots the game back up to the splash screen

So I got it out and booted it up and I must admit, I am a little clueless when it comes to even rudimentary hacking (see: using) an apple iie. I understand what the pdf is suggesting regarding altering the code and I also understand the other articles suggestion to cntl+reset to get to a * prompt, but that is not working. Also, I don't know the name of a hex editing program that I would be able to use to modify the code, or even one that could copy the disk for me so that I can safely alter the code without potentially hosing the original.

So, that's where I'm at. I would definitely appreciate any tips someone can give. I do have a ProDOS 3.3 disk, but that is the only other disk I have for the apple.

Also, to elaborate, when I use the ctrl+reset method, it just boots the game back up to the splash screen

My area of expertise is the C64, so I don't think I can provide much help. But I would check in the Apple 2 section of the forums as it seems to be quite active and people will probably be able to help. I would recommend backing up the disk if possible (and maybe even making a disk image which would be amazing). But I would say check here for that help:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forumdisplay.php?20-Early-Apple-%28I-etc-%29

After many hours, many searches, and many years, this mystery has come to an end. When the name of the first disk came out, I did some searching on my own and I found someone who not only knew how to crack the protection, but also dumped the disk! The disk provided is Mastery Arithmetic Games 3.0 which contains the Bomber game among others. I want to give a big thanks to LoGo for providing a dumped copy of this disk which can be found here:

http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/crack/MASTERY.DSK

Last edited:
Thank you!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Thank you. From the bottom of my heart. You have filled the largest gap in my childhood memory. I am truly in your debt. Great job. I've been checking this thread for years. I have searched in vain for years and in so many dead ends...I can't believe this search has come to an end.
STROUPNP YOUR JOB IS NOT FINISHED!!!
You must tell us (in full details, including all of the events leading up to the 'big break'...sparing nothing) how you were able to discover the name of the disk and then how you went about tracking down a copy. I am so interested to hear how you solved the greatest mystery from my past! My hat is tipped to you! Great job!

WOW!
Have been lurking for years! I can't believe i just played that again, its been about 25 years omg!

I am going to have to agree with mosser and am very curious to hear about how stroupnp found the title of the disk! The sticking point for many years is a lot of people knew about the game, people had a pretty good idea of the title of the game, but since it was in a compilation, no one knew what the disk was. Also since it wasn't made by one of the bigger educational companies like MECC or Broderbund, we were really at a stalemate.

So stroupnp, how did you find the correct disk and title?

Back