• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for some nice vintage computers book

Niezgodka

Experienced Member
Recently I'm reading archives of Byte Magazine online. I'm thinking, is there a nice old book about computer systems and technologies available on (at that time) present market?
I really enjoy illustrations and way of writing from byte, and wish to have something like that in book.
Can you make any suggestions, what to look for?

If you like Byte and want IBM PC centric view of technology, look for Winn L. Rosch's Hardware Bible. The competing Scott Mueller Upgrading and Repairing PCs has had the earlier editions offered as legal free PDFs.

I'd second the mention of Creative Computing magazine, it was written in a much more informal style than BYTE. My favourite issue was July 1980 'All about Adventure Games' with the dragon on the front.
Here's a list of defunct US computer magazines, at least a few of them are on archive.org
HTML:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_American_computer_magazines
(EDIT: I've put that URL in HTML tags as the editor is turning the colon-D into a smiley)

The users guide to small computers (1984) by Jerry Pournelle is a good one. It's mostly about S100 systems if I remember correctly. You may have see him in the Byte archives. Peter McWilliams had a few if you don't mind his sense of humor.

Back