• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looks like we have a new PDP-11 fan

cchhrriiss11

Experienced Member
Anyone catch this Usagi Electric video yesterday? It happened to pop-up in my feed - looks like we've got a new budding PDP-11 collector!

I did cringe though when I saw all of the QBus cards sitting on the carpet! That being said, there's definitely a few neat cards that were featured, the ones that jumped out at me were the Matrox QRGD-G and Bomem DEB4100L:
1675095277523.png

-Chris

I did. I watched his videos on the Centurion computer as I'd never heard of one. Wow, lots of work went into making that work. Then his pdp-11 video popped up.
So of course I had to watch that. Yeah, I cringed when I saw him putting the boards on the carpet too. I know what most of those cards are, but not the ones you mention. Looking forward to his future videos on this.

I did cringe though when I saw all of the QBus cards sitting on the carpet!
I personally know this is going to offend you. ;)

100_1591.jpg

Same reaction from me about the carpet. I find it hard to believe someone with his knowledge wouldn't have known better. But there are also some eBay sellers who proudly display their PDP-11 boards resting on a carpet background, too.

My thoughts are why did he put carpet in that room at all? He literally just built that room! CHEAP laminate floor tiles would have been a better choice. Anyway this is coming from someone who absolutely hates carpeting. I dont care what anyone says... carpet is basically underwear you cant wash. Hardwood floors all the way! Rugs are fine.. but not in areas you work with electronics.

I do like his content though.. except for his weird lingo... he likes to throw the word "clutch" in bizarrely.

As #tradde mentioned, the series on the centurion is well worth a watch (as I hadnt heard of it either but am glad I stumbled onto it).

Had you heard of a Centurion before? I never had. I've known some pretty unknown computers, but never that.

Nope it was new to me.. and that Spartan emblem and the blue paint. stylish. Reminds me of my tutone Adm 3/a with a custom paint job. was meant to match the Altair or imsai.. i forget (dont own either) But I love that color.

Im just curious why he is still turning the unit on and off with a lock pick set rather than changing out the lock barrel so he can use a key. Or wire a toggle switch....

Last edited:
It's also not in Bitsavers either, unless anything new is still in sorting.
Which then raises the question: For such an unheard of computer, has he taken the initiative to document and archive what little information we have on it, or did it all go to the Archive.org heap?

I think as of right now he holds all the cards. Remember he had on the Centurion engineer who brought the diagnostic board? Those Roms and all the files they have recovered (from the platters ) Including the OS might be thr only existing copies out there. He mentioned copying it all out via the MUX so I am sure its being saved somewhere.

It's also not in Bitsavers either, unless anything new is still in sorting.
Which then raises the question: For such an unheard of computer, has he taken the initiative to document and archive what little information we have on it, or did it all go to the Archive.org heap?
I'm curious about this as well....

I think as of right now he holds all the cards. Remember he had on the Centurion engineer who brought the diagnostic board? Those Roms and all the files they have recovered (from the platters ) Including the OS might be thr only existing copies out there. He mentioned copying it all out via the MUX so I am sure its being saved somewhere.
You're exactly right -- as custodians of vintage systems, I feel that we have an ethical feudatory duty (whether we like it or not) to preserve documentation, software, etc that we're entrusted with -- especially for these rare systems. For example, I've got a large library of software, documentation and training materials for the IBM System/23 system - most likely the only surviving copies in the world. This also goes for my many boxes of ALTOS materials, as well as stacks of DEC field prints, tapes and other various documentation. I recognize (and am often reminded by members here) that I need to archive these to not only preserve them, but to also make them available to others that have these same systems.

-Chris

Last edited:
I'm just hoping that the carpets in question have been heavily sprayed with anti-stat or similar conductive chemicals!

The 11/44 FPU is all TTL so it is not that sensitive to static electricity. The big chips are AM2901 bit slice ALU. Made in bipolar technology. Not usually damaged easily.

The 11/44 FPU is all TTL so it is not that sensitive to static electricity. The big chips are AM2901 bit slice ALU. Made in bipolar technology. Not usually damaged easily.
Yeah, I am sure they will more than likely be fine. Its just really not good planning to have made that room with carpeting. I mean as far as board storage is concerned, I have so many boards/cards and I know I am guilty of mis-storage.. Who isnt?

Yeah, I am sure they will more than likely be fine. Its just really not good planning to have made that room with carpeting. I mean as far as board storage is concerned, I have so many boards/cards and I know I am guilty of mis-storage.. Who isnt?
I was lucky enough to get hundreds of anti-static bags that are the perfect size for Hex UNIBUS cards from a friend of mine - that coupled with Wine boxes are a great storage solution. I think I'm up to about 150 cards now!

This same storage solution works great for the VAX 11/780, 8650 and 6000 board sets that I have as well.

-Chris

Back