• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Low Level Format routine

I'll actually have to contact Gigabyte to see if they have the parallel and serial port cards. But, to be more realistic, I think the best option would be to get a 9 pin serial port PCIE express card. I doubt that I would find the ports through Gigabyte since they haven't made this particular board since I purchased it in 2010.
The Gigabyte motherboard in my Win7 box had a serial header on it, and so all I needed to do was purchase the header-to-bracket bit.
Example: eBay item 150765710956

Thanks. I just looked through my motherboard manual and found the section for adding both the serial and parallel port. The cost is prett good for the serial port cable, so I'm going to look for the parallel port header cable too. Personally, I would love to use the parallel port to connect my Win 7 machine to the 5150, but I'm more interested in using it to connect my 100 Meg Zip drive. If I can get the system to properly format the zip disks, I can use it to transfer a lot more programming a lot easier than by using standard floppy disk.

At least, that's my plan.

The Gigabyte motherboard in my Win7 box had a serial header on it, and so all I needed to do was purchase the header-to-bracket bit.
Example: eBay item 150765710956

Hi modem:

Actually, with a little bit of luck, I'll be ordering the serial port header cable through E-Bay, as well as a parellel port header cable. If the serial cable port header does what it's supposed to do, I'll be using the null modem cable I got from you, and I'll be using laplink 3 to access the files on my shard drive. (If you remember, back about a year ago, I got both the cable and laplink3 from you.)

As Chuck wrote, "null modem cable" is a class of cable. It covers many different wiring configurations.
What you received from me is a specific type of cable - a Laplink serial cable (which can also be used for certain other software).

What is being implied is the use of two joined cables:
[USB]---[Serial][Serial]---serial_laplink_cable-----[serial]

Using the procedure at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/transfer/laplink3.htm , I have not been able to get the procedure to work when a 'USB to Serial' cable is employed as above.
Using the Laplink serial cable alone to connect to a 'proper' serial port on my Windows 7 computer works.

Well, I'm home again. I have some good news and some not so good news. First off, the health issues I have been experiencing are NOT due to my liver! In fact, my lover is in better than perfect shape! Nope, the issue is in my heart. So I'll be seeing a cardiologist next week.

Now to get back on topic. I was able to fire up my 5150 system booted. I'm actually surprised at how quiet it is with both drives installed. Even the Miniscribe seems to have been dampened. DOS is installed as well as the rest of the hardware. Ed was able to install DOS 3.3 and all of it's dependant programs into it's own DOS directory. Now we can start working on the last few pieces; all of which are installed into the expansion unit. First is the Intel 8/16 LAN adapter, followed by the 3Com modem. At that point, I think everything will be complete.

Spiders Web, didn't you have something on the LAN adapter? That is the next piece we want to get working. Then I'll pull the modem and try to follow the instructions for configuring and installing it so it will be ready for whatever program I get set up for it.

Thanks everyone. It's been a long road getting here, both with my health issues, and with my 5150.

Try FastLynx 2, same features, nicer interface.

We attempted to get the new tweener up and running today, but the computer we had isn't compatible with Windows 98. Ed, my friend has no real concept of what a "tweener" is. So, we're back to where we were with the two Gateway towers. The P2 system seems like it will be more compatible with everything I want from running Windows 98, an internal 100 Meg Zip drive, CD/DVD burner, and USB support. The computer we were working on today is just too new. The socket 775 Mobo and P4 3.2 Gig pricessor with 512 Megs of RAM is fantastic, but not for a tweener. There are just too many backwards compatibility issues with the system's hardware, like the VGA video, USB drivers, and even the sound card. So, a couple more days and we'll have the Gateway up and running. So, in the meantime, we have to wait to bring over some of the programs and configuration tools I need to run on my 5150. Yeah, it's disapointing. But at least I'm home to do this stuff.

Hopefully, we'll have the "new" tweener up and running by the weekend. I have a stack of zip disks, a bunch of floppies, and plenty of time, so... I'll be ready.

I'll keep you all posted.

Glad to hear your back home. If you were closer I'd send you a tweener, I've collected too many of the things :/

For the modem, you will just need to set the jumpers and pop her in.

LAN adaptor, I couldn't find a driver that said "Intel 8/16" but I have seen people refer to this also as an old non-PnP Intel EtherExpress, so I'd try the Intel EtherExpress 16 driver - which I did find in the MS LanMan install (and I can copy/send if needed). I don't have a matching card here to test it with, so can't gurantee anything, but that'd be the first thing I'd toy with (on boot floppies).

Heya Spidey! Yeah, I home again. I have to go to my cardiologist on Monday to see what the next steps in my treatment are. The thing that worries me is that something might happen and my computer isn't finished. This has become my top priority; to finish this system.

Spidey; didn't you say that you had the exact same Intel8/16 LAN adapter on your workbench a little while ago? Were you ever able to get it to work properly with your PC or XT? How did that go? And what can you tell me about the install? I guess the other part to that is setting up the communications stack. I read all of MBruttman's info on the TCPIP stack, I'm now more confused than ever. Remember, I'm not, nor have I ever been a computer technician before Windows 95. So I have never manually configured things in DOS prior to getting my own 5150, (the one I'm working on now with the expansion unit) Everything I knew before getting my 5150 I learned by working on my own computers, so I never had the chance to get into the PC that only ran DOS. All of the hardware I have ever installed, came with an install disk, or autoinstalled i.e. plug-and-play. So really, this is all entirely new to me.

Some good news; I think I may have the modem figured out. Ole Juul gave me some pretty good instructions on getting it configured. I haven't been able to test it yet though. But, when I boot the computer, I don't get any errors. I just wish I had the same thing for the LAN adapter. I'm not stupid. But working on some of these configurations makes me wonder about my intelligence. Maybe I'm trying the wrong peice of hardware. Maybe I should be looking at a different LAN adapter; one that's easier to configure and get to operate. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Glad to hear your back home. If you were closer I'd send you a tweener, I've collected too many of the things :/

For the modem, you will just need to set the jumpers and pop her in.

LAN adaptor, I couldn't find a driver that said "Intel 8/16" but I have seen people refer to this also as an old non-PnP Intel EtherExpress, so I'd try the Intel EtherExpress 16 driver - which I did find in the MS LanMan install (and I can copy/send if needed). I don't have a matching card here to test it with, so can't gurantee anything, but that'd be the first thing I'd toy with (on boot floppies).

You should get your signature etched in to the inside of the case ;)
Fingers crossed for you.

Unfortunately I've never had an intel 8/16, since I restarted my collection I've been purely using 3Com Etherlink III and D-Link DE220 cards - and I've left my 5150 and 5160 network free. I may have offered to try out some cards in the PC or XT, but not the Intel specifically.

Just did some google imagery - found two cards that looked identical, 8/16 and an Etherexpress16 - so possibly Intel just renamed the card (and made newer revisions later). Made me more confident about the driver recommendation anyway - just cross fingers the packet driver is 8088 compatible.

Is it jumpered or plug'n play? (sorry I can't remember).

Last edited:
The LAN adapter in question is jumpered. I don't think there was ever such a thing as plug-and -play in DOS. Everything had to be configured manually. I do happen to have a 3Com 8 bit LAN adapter too. Do you think I should try installing that intstead? Of course, I'll still need the configurations for it.

You should get your signature etched in to the inside of the case ;)
Fingers crossed for you.

Unfortunately I've never had an intel 8/16, since I restarted my collection I've been purely using 3Com Etherlink III and D-Link DE220 cards - and I've left my 5150 and 5160 network free. I may have offered to try out some cards in the PC or XT, but not the Intel specifically.

Just did some google imagery - found two cards that looked identical, 8/16 and an Etherexpress16 - so possibly Intel just renamed the card (and made newer revisions later). Made me more confident about the driver recommendation anyway - just cross fingers the packet driver is 8088 compatible.

Is it jumpered or plug'n play? (sorry I can't remember).

What model is the 3Com?

Sadly, I think I have to kill my wife. She went and "cleaned" my work room and threw out a bunch of my vintage ISA cards, including the 3com LAN adapter. When I told her about it, whe was duly apologetic, and promised to never touch my computer stuff ever again. So with this news, I guess I'll have to try to get my Intel adapter working. Cause, I have absolutely no income right now, and don't expect there to be any for up to about at least another couple of months.

Aaaarrrrggghhh! I wish someone from this group who knows these systems well, were coming down to Vegas for a few days. Vegas it a hot travel spot... I guess I'll keep wishing.

Back