• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Luxeon 1watt LED flashlight

alexkerhead

Veteran Member
Today i took a trip to wally world(wal mart for the mates over the pond)
I baught a Dorcy 1watt luxeon LED flashlight, on sale for $19.
I doubted it would be brighter than my full size(3x D) mag light, but this thing is BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT!!!!!!
I pointed this thing in my eyes and I still am seeing spots.

Here is a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScODHUkOvJE

CP/M User said:
Not as bright as those light pens they have at the eye clinic?
- those things make you pass out.

CP/M User.
This is much brighter, very painful.
I know a webcam cannot convey how bright it is, but ya get the point..lol
For reference, this flashlight produces 50 lumens. Eye pens are about 15 lumens.

My next purchase is going to be a 5 watt luxeon coast, bwuhahaha.

I've got 6 3W luxeons lighting my toilet, I wanted something fairly subtle (gentle on the hangover), and thought 18 watts of led light would be, however they're now running at half the current they started off at, as the reflections off the toilet water were dazzling.

I've now used some of the single colour ones for other jobs, seriously intense!

If you use them, read the data sheet! they don't like over current at all (approx 25% max during PWM) and really need serious heat sinking, as light output drops off with temperature.

nig.

bbcmicro said:
Cheap Laser eye surgery, anyone?
LOL.
Luxeons rule, I got to try a 5 watt out today..lol...me and my friends we were putting it in our eyes and it made a brightly lit up room look like night after we removed it.
I am still having vision issues.
Just the 1 watt is like looking into the sun, but the 5 watt is twice as bright as the 1 watt.
I'm an idiot sometimes.

erasing eproms

erasing eproms

carlsson said:
If they have one that emits UV beams, you could get a cheap EPROM eraser (but don't look straight into it).

Already considered that one!, problem is that the wavelength from uv leds is still too long (i.e. the energy of each photon is too low) for erasing eproms.

eprom physics (eoe) .....
A single bit of an eprom works like a FET with the gate electrode entirely surrounded by a very thin insulator.

for programming - The programming voltage is enough to temporarily break down that insulator, filling the gate with electrons which get trapped, permanently turning off the fet, and programming a zero in the bit.

and erasing - The energy of a short wavelength uv photon is sufficient to knock an electron through the insulator (think billiard balls) and after 25 mins or so exposure to intense uv, there have been sufficient photons colliding with sufficient electrons to have discharged all the gates. erasing the eprom.

Think that's right

Nig

Yeah, I've followed a discussion about EPROMs on cbm-hackers list recently. It started with if it is possible to erase an EPROM by putting it into direct sunlight. The consensus was unless you live at either pole, not even weeks or months of direct sunlight will be enough to completely erase it.

Back