• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

M4 Data 9914 R Tape Drive needs work

30 years in the world of 1/2" tape is nothing. Try 60--but then, you're probably talking 7-track.

Most drives (and I think that M4 drives are included) have a basic Pertec interface standard and the SCSI intertace drives that. So you could probably run the M4 (check the manual) from the Pertec interface if you wanted.
Many of these drives, when purchased used, require a fair amount of tweaking to get to spec. I'd say that the two most important aspects to examine are preamp output levels and track skew. An alignment tape makes both much easier.

Chuck thank you

I would not have gotten this far without your help. This gives me something to research and study. I know there are places that still service these old tape drives, but none are with reasonable driving distance from Destin, Fl. Do you have any suggestions who may can tweak the unit?

After it was damaged in shipping the back metal plate was bent, it was dropped so hard. I am lucky to get this far.

I don't have a clue about anyone in your area, Jimmy, since I'm at the other end of the country. You already have the maintenance manual and I assume that you also have a decent 'scope, so you have most of what you already need.
Yeah, dropping these things hard can really mess things up!

I do have the manual and a okay scope. I will read up and give it a try. This is just a hobby project.

Thank you for all your help.

Chuck and Al thank you guys for all the help. I was able to read some of the tapes that were not in such bad shape and retrieve some historical information for the bank.

I was able to read four tapes for a friend using TapeCopy to convert them to .AWS files.

You could use the Pertec interface, assuming that you have the controller to retrieve data from bad blocks as well. In any case, it's nice to see an old bit of kit resurrected. :)

I have an 8 bit and 16 bit card plus a couple of cables.

I will give it a shot with the Pertec interface.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Chuck and Al, I want to thank you guys. I have been able to read 14 of the 19 tapes successfully. 3 of the tapes I have been able to recover some of the files. The other 2 tapes are in pretty bad condition, what I have learned is Sticky Shed Syndrome.

I would never have been able to read a single tape without your help and guidance.

Thank you again.

Jimmy

Back