• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac G3 "Disk is unreadable" Burned Disc on Windows and Linux

donga22nf

So i recently got an old mac G3 and would like to burn some sit files onto a disc and use them on my g3(beige). The problem is that when i burn these files. I insert it into the cd drive and it says "disk unreadable by this computer". I tried burning using imgburn on windows and then on linux using Burnso? What software or settings do i need to use?

What kind of media are you using? My IMac G3 hates cdrws... Why not just use a thumbstick?

I would if you have one or its cheap enough. Thumbsticks are so much easier nowadays. Don't get me wrong I still have to burn discs now and then, but if the machine is capable of using usb, I find it to be a better choice.

What kind of media are you using? My IMac G3 hates cdrws... Why not just use a thumbstick?

Because all revisions of the iMac G3 only have USB 1.1, which has a maximum speed of 12 mbit/sec, or 1.5 mbyte/sec. In reality, it's much lower because of bus overhead and other devices sharing that bandwidth. On top of that, the host CPU has to do the heavy lifting to move data to and from a flash drive. Slower CPUs will not be able to push as much data over the USB bus. Trying to transfer files more than a couple of megabytes is painful.

I never had a problem with any of my PowerPC machines reading burned CD-Rs. To make them more compatible, you have to burn the discs at a slower speed, anywhere in the 4-8x range.

I would if you have one or its cheap enough. Thumbsticks are so much easier nowadays. Don't get me wrong I still have to burn discs now and then, but if the machine is capable of using usb, I find it to be a better choice.

No revision of the iMac G3 has PCI slots, adding a USB card is impossible. You'd also need a very specific old USB card that supported PowerPC machines, you can't just plop any USB card into an old PowerPC Mac and expect it to work.

The only way to get extra USB ports is to use an external USB hub, but this makes an already painfully slow USB 1.1 bus even slower.

Back