• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac IIci networking trubs

MikeModifed

Veteran Member
I'm new to Apple in general and this Mac specifically: Mac IIci, 32mb, 370mb, large (?) cache, Asante MC3NB, lots of stuff on the hard drive.

I've reinstalled OS 7.5.5 and the Asante driver downloaded from asante.com ("Mac installer ver 5.6.1"). I'm stuck, though on boot, with "SNMP MacAgent is set to off. ==> Failed to initialize UDP." However the SNMP MacAgent control panel is set to on.

I have a LC630 with an Asante network card, and it works fine. I've tried the same settings on the IIci that work on the LC630 and all other combos of settings, all to no avail.

I'm stuck! I'd really like to get this guy onto the home network and at least get netpresentz working.

Mike

Awesome machine to get introduced to the vintage Mac world. Great expandability options.

Do you have Open Transport installed?

Ok. Among the many files on the Mac is OT131.SIT. When I expand it, if makes a folder (OT131 Folder) with sub-folders "Control Panels" (containing a TCP/IP control panel) and "Extensions" ( containing 4 Open Tpt/Open Transport libraries).The 4 libraries are already in the System/Extensions folder but the TCP/IP control panel isn't evident. However, when I try to move it to the Control Panel folder I get: "The command could not be completed, because an invisible item with the same name already exists in this location" (I'd forgotten this from my last attempt).

Could this be the problem? How do I delete/replace the invisible TCP/IP?

Mike

Network Software Selector (in "Utilities" folder) was set to "use classic networking". I switched it "use open transport networking" and rebooted. The TCP/IP control panel was now visible. Made it active and rebooted again. Same error message.

The Asante utility ASLS 1.3.0 shows "Card: MacCon Ethernet" and "Driver: 7.3.5" The card has a green LED that blinks when plugged into the router and no LED when unplugged.

Mike

Well, this could be the problem. You may be missing some stuff or things may have been installed incorrectly.

I would recommend a clean install of 7.5.5. You might want to do a Custom Install for All Machines, and make sure to select all the networking options. For whatever reason, even on my own IIci, if I simply install the Apple Network Installer, my NuBUS ethernet cards won't work. I have to do a custom OS install and make sure all the network options are selected. Not sure what the difference is, despite both having the Ethernet NB extension installed.

Next, download the actual Open Transport installer and install it.

http://archive.org/download/downloa...s/Open_Transport/OT_1.1.2-Net_Install.sea.bin

Six and a half hours of screaming aggravation with no tangible results other than 105+ megabytes of hard disk used up (much of which is recoverable). "SNMP MacAgent is set to off. ==> Failed to initialize UDP."

I'm about ready to give up and move on to something more entertaining.

Mike

Darn it. Hard to diagnose over the internet. :/ Sorry you're going through all that.

Hmm. Out of curiosity, how's the IIci's ethernet hooked up to the rest of your network? Some newer switching equipment can't handle 10Base-T and the older protocols very well. I've found that on my older machines I had to put an old Netgear 10/100 switch between my vintage Macs and my newer gigabit switch. It refuses to work when connected directly to my gigabit switch, even if it's set to 10/100 mode on the port. Has to go through the older switch first.

I really appreciate the assistance and apologize for being whiney yesterday.

My network runs thru a Cisco Linksys E1000, which handles the card in my LC630 and 8088's (and up) using 3com 3c503's, but I'm certainly willing to try an older (?) piece.

Mike

Ok. Among the many files on the Mac is OT131.SIT. When I expand it, if makes a folder (OT131 Folder) with sub-folders "Control Panels" (containing a TCP/IP control panel) and "Extensions" ( containing 4 Open Tpt/Open Transport libraries).The 4 libraries are already in the System/Extensions folder but the TCP/IP control panel isn't evident. However, when I try to move it to the Control Panel folder I get: "The command could not be completed, because an invisible item with the same name already exists in this location" (I'd forgotten this from my last attempt).

Could this be the problem? How do I delete/replace the invisible TCP/IP?

Mike

Maybe OT extensions are disabled? Depending on which version of System software you have you can enable/disabled individual extensions without having to manually drag them from folder to folder.

Ok, I've reset up the LC630 (DOS) pretty much on top of the IIci.

The 630 is running OS 7.6.1 and the IIci is running OS 7.5.5

Yesterday I did a clean install on the IIci of 7.5.3 starting with 19 floppies downloaded onto my PC and then transferred to the IIci and expanded to a usable form. When "disk 1" was run it combined all 19 into "Sys 7.5 v7.5.3 CD Inst" When this was it run came up with the totally useless (to me) error message (to the effect) of "Can't update this drive while the System Folder is on it," when it should have said "You must restart the computer from a drive different than the one you wish to install this software onto." Once I had figured that out, the next problem was finding a boot disc that was small enough to transfer from the PC to the Mac via a floppy.

So, finally installed 7.5.3 onto the IIci with all options checked. Then I updated to 7.5.5. Then came the OT_1.1.2... (7.3 MB) which was fortunately on the IIci already. I installed that with all options checked.

Now, comparing the 630 (currently online, connected to the PC Filezilla->Netpresenz and shown as on the network by MacAfee) to the IIci, the AppleTalk, Sharing Setup, & SNMP MacAgent control panels are exactly the same. The TCP/IP c.p. on the 630 shows its address while the one for the IIci doesn't (probably because it's not talking to the server). Am I missing any that relate to this problem?

Extension Manager on the 630 (v.4.00) shows 9 OpenTransport extensions, all "On". Extension Manager on the IIci (v3.0.3) shows ZERO OpenTransport extensions, either on or off. However, there are three OpenTransport "Shared Library Mana.."
three OpenTransport "documents" and one "Apple Guide document" in the IIci Extensions Folder. Is this correct or a symptom of the problem?

Yours in MacIntosh confusion,

Mike

What are the names of the extensions that are turned on on the 630, and what are the names of the "documents" on the IIci? It sounds like OT just didn't install properly for some reason...

Mike:

I'm a little rusty on this, but I have I believe System 7.5.3 on my IIci along with an Asante ethernet card, with Open Transport as well, and don't recall any specific problems with installing OT. ISTR there was an installer script for OT rather than the usual drag the files here method, but I could be wrong.

I only had to drag the files the one time and maybe not then. Starting with zero knowledge, I'm making this all up as I go along <8-)

However, before I purchased the IIci, I collected a pile of questionable parts: LC I's & a IIsi with bad caps, etc. Included was a 150 MB drive from a completely different computer. I just swapped it in: System Software 7.1P3 (?from a Performa?). After installing the Asante drivers (downloaded directly from Asante.com) and configuring it to get its IP address from the server, upon reboot, I get the same error message: "SNMP MacAgent is set to off. ==> Failed to initialize UDP."

I'd bet it's the drivers (probably not) or a bad NIC? Now to find a site for the drivers that doesn't want to fill my computer with crap.

Mike

I only had to drag the files the one time and maybe not then. Starting with zero knowledge, I'm making this all up as I go along <8-)

However, before I purchased the IIci, I collected a pile of questionable parts: LC I's & a IIsi with bad caps, etc. Included was a 150 MB drive from a completely different computer. I just swapped it in: System Software 7.1P3 (?from a Performa?). After installing the Asante drivers (downloaded directly from Asante.com) and configuring it to get its IP address from the server, upon reboot, I get the same error message: "SNMP MacAgent is set to off. ==> Failed to initialize UDP."

I'd bet it's the drivers (probably not) or a bad NIC? Now to find a site for the drivers that doesn't want to fill my computer with crap.

Mike

I'll see if I can recreate your problem tonight.

Thank you. Any insight would be appreciated.

I don't and I would have. ;-)

Mike

Sorry for the delay... I tried to boot up the machine yesterday and ran into my peculiar problem... the cold room problem. I can't turn it on if the room is literally too cold. :) It has been fairly cold around here lately. I'll have to break out the space heater (or a blanket).

Oh, this could also be a problem not with the software or ethernet card, but with bad capacitors (which may include the power supply.) Low voltage will cause all sorts of problems.

Sorry for the delay... I tried to boot up the machine yesterday and ran into my peculiar problem... the cold room problem. I can't turn it on if the room is literally too cold. :) It has been fairly cold around here lately. I'll have to break out the space heater (or a blanket).

No problem. It's been abnormally warm here and I've been outside doing non-computer things.

Oh, this could also be a problem not with the software or ethernet card, but with bad capacitors (which may include the power supply.) Low voltage will cause all sorts of problems.

Possible, but I hope not. I purchased it as having recently recapped motherboard and VX power supply.

Mike

Back