• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac Plus, error after installing 6.05 on HD, "System file may be damaged"

paul

Veteran Member
The Mac Plus in my collection has 4MB ram and a recently-added external SCSI drive, a 170 MB Connor I think, non-"Apple" in any case. It had System 7 on it which had some issues booting with extensions applied, but otherwise didn't exhibit any other problems. The Apple HD SC Setup Utility 2.0.1 does not recognise this drive but it already had what appeared to be a suitable partitioning scheme.

Having a set of 6.0.5 diskettes, I "Erased" the HD and carried out the "Easy" install to the HD. Everything appeared to go well, but I get this error when attempting to boot from the HD. A second install attempt for this specific model did not help.

IMG_2670 2.jpg

I wonder if this HD had previously been used with a more-recent Mac and the drivers on the HD are not suitable? There was a method of editing the list of "Apple" disks acceptable to the setup utility but I don't recall how to do that. Any ideas?

I tried the same system install on a blank floppy and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. I managed to get it to boot off the HD by overwriting the System 6.0.5 file with a 6.0.4 version I found on a floppy. It's good enough for now and gives me time to track down the patched utility.

Back