• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh Plus Floppy issues

camdude

Hi folks! Today, I received my awaited new member to the family, a Macintosh Plus.
Here's the rundown:
System powers on fine, Sound is fine, Display is great, No hard drive (I don't have one), Floppy drive.... eh.
When I turn it on, I get the chime (well, beep), and it ejects the floppy disk. I put the disk back in - but it doesn't even try to read it, and I get a good ol' ? sign. Now before you guys say the obvious, I would like you to know that I understand the density limits on the internal drive, and that I have tested the disk in my SE. it boots. (System 6.0.8 - and it loads MacGolf).

Now, if I don't put in the disk (or it might be cold-booting it (having it unplugged then plugging it in )), it gives me just a grey screen for about 10+ seconds. Could this be a sign of failed capacitors? I know that these machines have an interesting history with the solder-joints, but I haven't heard of needing to recap the logic board.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. I will be on vacation, so my access to internet - and therefore the ability to check the forum will be limited. Happy Holidays!
Thanks in advance!!
-Camden

I wonder if in your case the disk is seating completely in the drive mechanism when you insert the disk. In my IIci, the grease was all dried up on the mechanism and ejecting/inserting the disk were problematic and thus it wouldn't always recognize a disk was inserted or read/write properly.. I had to take apart the mech and clean all the old grease off and put new grease on it. Worked like a charm after that.

System 6.0.8 feels a bit new for the plus (at least if you are running at the 1mb stock ram) though I never used more than system 5 so I'm probably wrong.
The gray screen is part of the macs "POST" (or as close as you can get to the to it) so that's normal.

I would also suspect the floppy drive grease is dried out. It wouldn't hurt to regrease it. I do it to any 512K mac that comes across my path because it's obviously gummed up and I would not doubt it is starting to happen now on the later Plus systems.
You could also try finding another system disk image and making a new floppy to boot from to make double sure everything is there.

6.0.8 should work fine on the Plus. As other pointed out, sounded like inners needs a good cleaning and regreasing. If you're popping the unit, you might also want to inspect the analog board; pre-SE compact units are notorious for analog board problem.

There is a really helpful tutorial online that shows exactly how to dismantle and re-grease these floppy drives. Do it carefully and the drive becomes alive again :)

A full 6.0.8 install for the Plus is too big for a 800k floppy (I've just been there) it will need many options removed then it just fits (which requires a bigger Mac to do the job). Checkout JagsHouse, he has a good tutorial on what systems work with what drives. I use 6.0.5 on a 800k floppy with a little room to spare.

Power supply ticking?

Power supply ticking?

Alright. So I got back from my vacation today, and I popped open the case to begin to work on re-greasing and cleaning the disk drive. First, I noticed that there was a little bit of rust. The only reason why it caught my eye, however, was because it was only at the drive bay, and it seemed to have come from the diskette drive. I did not, however, notice anything particularly out of the ordinary when looking at the analog board.

One thing I do have to ask: these drives did not use a pulley system did they? I don't remember them using one, but it's been so many years that I have forgotten. I recall that the motor is the drive spindle... kind of a combined system, using the magnets that are on the analog board. Am I right?

Anyways, after I reassembled the mac, I powered it on, and the system powered on normally, and went to the flashing ? sign. I popped in a new diskette that I made from an image earlier, and... nothing. But after sitting a few moments I hear a feint arrhythmic ticking, like you might hear from a car after a long drive. I starting listening towards the drive, but I noticed that it was loudest at the vents (and still extremely quiet, at that), right above the PSU. It doesn't seem to have any issues... but I may be wrong. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
-Camden

I've been having issues posting, so two of messages have not been put up. I hope this doesn't end up in a triple-post :D
Anyways *claps hands* Upon cracking open the mac, I noticed that central to the diskette drive bay area was either dried electrolyte, or rust (pretty sure it's rust). The weird thing is that it's only around the drive (mount points, bracket, etc)... but none was on the drive, and there is no physical evidence that any component is damaged. Now, this drive doesn't use a pulley system does it? I recall it having a built in motor, using the magnets on the board, but I'm not 100% sure... it's been too many years. So, upon re-lubing the drive, and putting it back together (successfully, no busted CRT tube), I turn it on, only to get the same set of symptoms. Except there's the noise emancipating from the top of the case, presumably near the PSU. it's a arrhythmic clicking, that's extremely hard to hear... almost like a tiny switch. with no diskette in the drive, it doesn't make the noise. Once I trigger the disk sensor near the front of the drive, however, it starts making the noise again - the diskette doesn't even need to be 1/4 of the way in... :/ The only thing I can think of would be failing passive components, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks to everyone above who has posted! Wishing you all happy holidays!
-Camden

Back