• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Magnavox Odyssey 2

luckybob

Veteran Member
found one of these at my local thrift store. I think the price was too high, so its still on the shelf... Should I go back and get it? Would anyone here want it, It looks like a atari-esque gaming console but I've never heard of it before. If anyone wants it, i'll go back and get it for them. I think they do a 50% off on monday iirc...

http://imgur.com/xqwk3

How much was it? I can't see the picture but probably getting blocked on my side. An unboxed one but working here in Austin probably goes for around $30ish, maybe as high as $50. Unfortunately not that much value in themselves although I suppose they could go up over the years.

I guess it will sit for a while. I just wanted to post it here in case someone was looking for a parts machine. It looks clean, so if someone needed a keyboard or something. I'd give it to them @ cost naturally.

It's worth $35 if you get it with the joysticks (which are hard-wired on most of them, but early models were plug-in) and a bunch of games -- even better if you get it with the voice synthesizer module. But for just the console itself, no way.

p.s. On the early Odyssey2 with plug-in joysticks, they use the same connector as Atari 2600 joysticks, but are not compatible.

p.p.s. The AC adapter is no problem if you're missing it -- it works fine with a Sega Genesis / Master System power supply.

Looks an awful lot like a Unique price tag and "as-is electronics" label... along with 50% off Mondays.

I'd get it, i found one in a thrift store by itself for 25$ so i snatched it up, then i found one in a vintage game shop that came with almost every game, and the voice module. in box, with original warranty card and sales reciepts from 1980 something, i paid 50 for it, and have not regretted buying it as i had one when i was a kid and the wifey's kids love playing it. They got the cheaper one, i get the pristine one :) Always a joy watching younger children use the same things that i have had. Though i can't get them hooked on the 5160 yet.....

Of all the game consoles from the 8-bit era the O^2 is one of the easiest to mod and upgrade, the processor is even socketed, 8048 by Intel! I have one that is slotted for upgrading when I can get to it. Being a personal project it isn't on the table yet.

Back