• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Manual for the 80286 M-209 motherboard

Very cool, indeed.
I did not know that a NIC card could affect the MB Bios in that way.
I haven't found your card yet, but I will keep on looking.
Thanks!

3Com EtherLink III (3C509B) ISA cards are popular with members, are plentiful and will work fine with your system. There's quite a few post about how the XT-IDE Bios Rom for nics functions.

All my nics have been given to me.

Without actually viewing the contents of the box and any disks inside it's hard to say. Generally they are though. Should be easy enough to get hold of them on the internet and no dought members have them. Just ask and someone will pipe up.

As for software, definitely get hold the mTCP suite of software - http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/ I set that up on the Zenith last night. A text based browser such as Lynx could be the go.

It you want, for s*&^ts and jiggles, you can also use the 286 as a terminal from a *nix box though the serial port using a null-modem cable http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/ if you have a newer box with serial ports. jack, an Italian member has made a nice boot disk image with a terminal you can use.

Last edited:
There should definitely be drivers included in that box and a packet driver as well but the performance and memory requirements of the official 3Com packet driver is just horrible. Use the crynwr packet driver instead.

Also, not all 3C509B cards come with an option ROM socket so you might want to look at other auctions where you can actually see what the card looks like.

Wow, thank you to all.
It is overwhelmingly awesome to have this kind of support from you guys.
I will search some more this weekend, based on your recommendations.

Can the D-Link DE-220PCT manage well in a non-plug and play system, such as my 286?
The description on Ebay says that it's a plug and play card.

Since I have never configured a network card in DOS, let alone on a 286, I'm not sure if I need to be concerned with that aspect, unless it has dip switches which are documented in the manual. Or perhaps it is set to automatically find the irq, memory address, dma, etc. on a non-PNP computer.

Thanks for your input.

They'll function fine in non PnP systems, 8 bit and 16 bit, if you read the manual http://files.dlink.com.au/Products/RDE-220PCT/Manuals/RDE-220PCT_Manual.pdf I've got a couple doing just that in a 386DX25 with wfw 3.11 as well a 486DX2/66 running OS/2 v3.

You just need to run a setup program in dos to assign the irq and address etc. I normally set mine to irq10 and 300H across the board. A catch in running some setup software is it may need to run in say a 286 or even higher ISA setup and then the nic can be placed in an older system.

I'm not from an IT background and the first time I'd ever set up a pure Dos networking system was a few years ago. It really isn't that hard at all and I wondered why I never did it years ago. Back in the early 90s when I had my first 286 any "networking" at home was done via null-modem cable. A good thing these days is ISA nics are literally a dime a dozen ;)

Last edited:
Nice, great to know.
I'm having some trouble getting your link to open. I'm not sure if the website is down at the moment, but I will try it a bit later.

Well, I won the auction on Ebay for the D-Link, with no one else bidding.
Thanks to pointing that auction for me, and I look forward to getting the card.
Caluser2000, thanks for changing the link to pdf, I got to read it.

Great news! The DE-220P network card arrived finally, after one month from France.
I set it up in my 286@20mhz computer, and it worked well, but was extremely slow with Arachne web browser.
I then moved it to my 486@66mhz computer, and Arachne is much more responsive in this machine. I could browse quite a few websites, such as Google and Vogons.

However, I have also tried to use the mTCP suite, which I downloaded from Mike Brutman's website. After unzipping the software suite, I could not find (so far) an executable program, either from the Telnet directory, or otherwise. Maybe I'm missing another download or link somewhere.

If anyone is able to give me some pointers on how to set up Telnet, or other useful programs from Mike's website, I would appreciate it. Also, are there other good websites that I could fully explore with Arachne?

Thanks very much.

I am attaching board specific diskette files - memory manager, and some utilities. I also have original manual and original floppy 5.25"
booklet pics here

Attachments

• PCUTIL.ZIP
    43 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back