• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Manual Needed - LYNX 470 Drive Exerciser / Alignment Tool

bolex

Experienced Member
Hello,

I was hoping someone had a manual that they could share for this Floppy Alignment tool made by LYNX Technologies (1989). Please let me know. Thanks!

Lynx470.jpg

Page1_Review.JPG

Page2_Review.JPG

I was able to find a Sales Brochure for LYNX. I've uploaded to archive.org. I would very much like to find the manual. I have a lead so hopefully that pans out.

LYNX Technologiy INC- Product Brochure_Page_1.jpg
LYNX Technologiy INC- Product Brochure_Page_2.jpg

Post an update here if you ever find a manual for the LYNX 470, and maybe upload it to archive.org too if you can. I have a LYNX 470 without any documentation, or accessory cables. It's not even clear how power is supposed to be supplied to it.

I have been in contact with someone who has the manual. He also knows someone with a few additional adapters (I'm thinking Apple drive adapters). He's planning on sending me pictures of those adapters. He said he would get me a copy, but he's busy right now and doesn't think he can get to it for a few weeks. I'll follow up with him in a few weeks and hopefully we'll have a manual we can post online. Mine came with standard straight floppy cables (34 and 50 pin). The other cable was a 10 pin IDC cable with test leads on each wire. Here are some pictures, but hopefully the manual will have the cable pinouts. I'm sure I can send them to you if the manual doesn't work out. It seems the device gets its power from the floppy drive itself.

DSC00314_SM.JPG
DSC00315_SM.JPG
DSC00316_SM.JPG
DSC00317_SM.JPG
DSC00318_SM.JPG
DSC00319_SM.JPG
DSC00320_SM.JPG

Super interested to also obtain a manual - I just bought one myself (yet to receive) - this would be such a nice addition to the calibration collection if it works! - Thanks for the pictures posted already!

Hi there

I think I can help here - joined the forum actually after google searching the pinout configuration for the test clips cable, and found this topic.

I've got an incomplete Lynx 470 set here which includes the manual, a Dysan alignment disk, some blank DSDD 5.25" disks to test read/write, but it's missing the alignment test clip ribbon cable.
Pictures above help me out a lot, and finally allow me to confirm my unit is in working order, by patching together some Dupont PCB pin header jumper leads and some logic analyzer mini hookup leads. I intend on using it to troubleshoot the track alignment of a Panasonic JU-475-5 no-flip TRK00 modded floppy drive (meant for single-pass flux dumps of C64 disks via Kryoflux, and also Greaseweazle).

Anyway - I can scan the manual for you guys, to return the favour. It'll take a couple of weeks to get it all done though.

cheers

Excellent news archcosmo! It's much appreciated. If you need help with anything else or need help with the other images, please let me know.

@archcosmo that is great news! - Interestingly enough - I am trying to use mine for a the same purpose, as well as getting to calibrate a number of 1541 drives !

hi again

finished scanning the manual - 300 dpi PDF can be retrieved from this Internet Archive URL:

Lynx 470 Users Manual

Don't think I can upload the 66MB file to this thread though, but the relevant page for the alignment cable is attached.
Unfortunately, their diagram doesn't correspond to the actual coloured wire order on the 10 pin female IDC connector..
Suffice it to say, the Lynx 470 gets it's 5V supply from the large clip connector with the Red/Orange wire attached to the 5V pin on the floppy drive.
Ground is normally connected via the common ground pins (odd pins) in the floppy cable, rather than the Grey or Black wires.

Minimal connections to use the Lynx 470 would be:
Red/Orange = 5V
Yelllow = Radial (ie RW Head output)
Green = Radial (RW Head output)
Blue = Track0
White = Index Pulse

The floppy drive's service manual would/should have an explanation of whether the index pulse is a +ve (rising) or -ve (falling) pulse is generated by the drive, which is set on the Lynx 470 by the index toggle switch. The manual recommends +ve for 8" floppy drives, and -ve for 5.25" floppy drives.

cheers!

Attachments

• Lynx 470 Users Manual Page 4-41.pdf
    439.9 KB · Views: 10
Amazing! Thank you so much! I'm reading the manual now and I'm extremely impressed about how well written the manual is.

DSCN0593_SM.JPG

Back