• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

March 2022 edition of TRS8BIT

Dustym

Experienced Member
Hi everyone, welcome to the start of our 16th year of TRS8BIT ! :)
In this issue - Jurgen Bussert, Bootstrap - create a boot-disk from cassette. George Phillips, Character ‘Toggle-Boggle’, M3 and missing characters? Lawrence Kesteloot, TRSTOOL Upgraded to v2.3.1. E.T. Fonehume, ‘Do the shuffle.’ BASIC at its best. with a prezzie intended just for the editor! Harold Finch, Stretches your mind. Another puzzle to get you thinking. Shawn Sijnstra, The quest for more adventure. The next ‘level’ for adventurers. Assembler Bytes Back. Is this a pointer for the competition? Ian Mavric, In Mav’s Workshop. M3 & M4 power supplies explained. The way we were. More interesting snippets from the day. Peter Howard, TRS-80 cassette wave-forms. A fascinating introduction. U.K. Ebay bargains. were you one of the lucky ones? A welcome back to Kevin Parker and his ‘Big Tandys’ And finally, there’s details of this years ‘Beauty & the Beast’ competition for all Wordle fans.

A big 'thank you' to everyone who has contributed article

Looking forward to the latest issue! I’ve been catching up on every one since I discovered trs80gp. I’m regaining the joy of learning and programming that gave me such pleasure back in the late 1970s. I’m writing an assembler in BASIC—just for the fun of it—and documenting the steps I take to develop something I’d first tried to write out of necessity over 40 years ago. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum @VinnieMan ! Writing an assembler in BASIC is quite an undertaking. Long ago, I wrote a ray tracer in BASIC, and that was quite a good prototype for the eventual C-based final product.

- Alex

Looking forward to the latest issue! I’ve been catching up on every one since I discovered trs80gp. I’m regaining the joy of learning and programming that gave me such pleasure back in the late 1970s. I’m writing an assembler in BASIC—just for the fun of it—and documenting the steps I take to develop something I’d first tried to write out of necessity over 40 years ago. Thanks!
Sounds a brilliant idea. I hope I'll be able to report any progress in the June22 edition of TRS8BIT!

Thanks for your interest!
So far, I’ve written, tested and documented the following procedures:
-line scanning routines (Skip While, Skip Until, Gather While, Gather Until) matching arbitrary character sets or specific sets (alpha, numeric, whitespace, operators, etc)
-skip “meaningless” (empty, comment-only, line number-only, whitespace only) lines
-skip whitespace and line numbers and gather first “content” (should be a label, mnemonic, or pseudo-op)
-initialize a fixed symbol table for mnemonics, register names, and pseudo ops; and initialize an alpha search index into that table.

Right now I’m working on categorizing each mnemonic (variations [8-, 16-bit], number of arguments, applicable lists of arguments, etc.) so my scanner can learn “what to expect next”.

It’s slow, plodding work.

Back