• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Massive Lot of Vintage Macs and other computers.

False, I am a member of GeekHack. Not terribly active, but I've been lurking for years. And I've even posted pictures of my 5140 there ...

I have a personal vendetta against keyboard poachers (which is who I warned about) not against GeekHack, so please stop conflating the two. And once again, it's laughable to claim that GeekHack is not a good place to find keyboard poachers.

I'm glad that with modern manufacturing that people are recreating items. But the last 10 to 15 years have been rough; look at eBay - there are plenty of terminals and strange machines missing their keyboards because of this keyboard poaching nonsense that I warned of.
Being a member doesn't mean you know anything about the community, especially as a lurker. Or you wouldn't be saying half of what you posted. :rolleyes:

You are the one who's conflating the two, in fact, you have been labeling all keyboard enthusiasts as 'keyboard poachers'. It's laughable that you are a member of any keyboard community with your attitude.

The last 10-15 years are also going to be rough because of a thing called TIME. Time makes things separate, especially since the only removable part of most older computers was the keyboard--the system gets placed one place and the keyboard another--it happens. And not because there's a bunch of wild keyboard poachers carving them up with chainsaws--get a grip. :rolleyes:

What is your opinion on the following scenario. Mint IBM AT with a Model F keyboard. No buyers for the full system. Complete system will be going to the scrap heap in 2 days as owner is moving and doesn't have space at new home. Keyboard enthusiast buys system, but keeps keyboard reselling system on ebay for someone else.

How many of those are PS/2s that originally came with a Model M?

About 15. I have 3 XT class machines and only ONE model F and it doesn't work. Does that help? Would you like an itemized list of everything I own?

All right. Please remove the geekhack post, or at least edit it so it says they may not destroy the computer. I think it just makes sense to get this thread back on topic.

You are the one who's conflating the two, in fact, you have been labeling all keyboard enthusiasts as 'keyboard poachers'.

Please show where I wrote that ...

We disagree on a few things. I warned about keyboard poachers. You specifically wrote:

I've posted this to geekhack as I know some of the guys/gals there will LOVE to devour the keycaps on some of those old keyboards.

I think you made my case for me even before I posted ... "devour" is not normally a word used when talking about loving restoration.

This is loving restoration: http://www.brutman.com/IBM_PC_Keyboard_Plug_Repair/IBM_PC_Keyboard_Plug_Repair.html

Good day ...

I came back to this thread after a couple of days and didn't even recognize it. Wow, who knew? religion, politics and keyboard conservation ;-)

There are plenty of occasions to come by vintage keyboards outside of this opportunity, and since most of this acquisition is focused on providing complete systems, there is no need to continue this discussion here.

I came back to this thread after a couple of days and didn't even recognize it. Wow, who knew? religion, politics and keyboard conservation ;-)

There are plenty of occasions to come by vintage keyboards outside of this opportunity, and since most of this acquisition is focused on providing complete systems, there is no need to continue this discussion here.

Thank You!

About 15. I have 3 XT class machines and only ONE model F and it doesn't work.
Nice! Do you have mostly MCA or do you have some with ISA slots? We got lucky that our 30-286 had ISA slots or it would have been next to impossible to upgrade it as MCA cards were unbelievably limited and expensive back in the day. I always loved the tower versions but those were ungodly expensive, but powerful.

As far as the Model F not working, I would check the keyboard forums as I'm sure someone has run across the exact same problem and has posted a solution. One of my Model Ms num/caps/scroll lights isn't working and I got some very quick and easy fixes for it (that I haven't had a chance to try).

Please show where I wrote that ...

We disagree on a few things. I warned about keyboard poachers. You specifically wrote:

I think you made my case for me even before I posted ... "devour" is not normally a word used when talking about loving restoration.

This is loving restoration: http://www.brutman.com/IBM_PC_Keyboard_Plug_Repair/IBM_PC_Keyboard_Plug_Repair.html

Good day ...
You have a personal vendetta that will prevent EVERYONE from getting the systems that they want. If it falls through, you'll know why and everyone can blame you.

I feel as I should have never even tried to help here--I've never seen such ingratitude during dire straights. :rolleyes: I might just go give the guy $3k for everything just to spite all of you. (He's not even an hour away from me.)

I'm the one organizing this whole thing. I'm taking everyone's requests and money, then I'll distribute the machines. The seller of this lot wants a few hundred more than what we've raised so far, but I'm confident that we can make it.

Plenty of Apple Macintosh machines are still available.

How shy are you guys on buying it out? I'd kick in some money for a random assortment of IBM stuff that others may not have claimed.

​Latest Update, Good News:

The agreement was just made today. $2,000 takes the entire lot. We didn't raise that amount in the aggregate, but I will cover the difference and keep the balance of the machines that were not asked and paid for by others. I am now planning a day when I can come over and take it all away.

With that said, if people still want to pay for and claim a machine, he or she can still do that. I won't say no!

The deed has been done.

I made the trip yesterday and now have custody of the machines that were asked for. I have no more time or ability to do anything with them until the middle of December, which is when I will begin shipping them around the world to everyone.

Parts and machines left behind in Decatur may appear on eBay, but that is entirely out of my hands and I have no guarantee on availability of the remainder of that collection.

The deed has been done.

I made the trip yesterday and now have custody of the machines that were asked for. I have no more time or ability to do anything with them until the middle of December, which is when I will begin shipping them around the world to everyone.

Parts and machines left behind in Decatur may appear on eBay, but that is entirely out of my hands and I have no guarantee on availability of the remainder of that collection.
Thank you for all the hard work you put in! You sound utterly exhausted. :(

Can you share a list of items that were claimed so that we may devine what might remain?
I didn't make an inventory of everything, so no. But I do recall that the Macintosh SE units, the Macintosh 512K, and just about all of the computers marked with an X were left behind, as were the TI computers and the IBM PC jr equipment.

However, as I remarked earlier, parts and machines left behind in Decatur may appear on eBay, but that is entirely out of my hands and I have no guarantee on availability of the remainder of that collection.

And as an update for everyone: I will begin shipping after next week.

Back