• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MCA RAM expansion card compatibility with P70

The motherboard supports 8mb, what is the need for more on a portable 386?

Also, while the machine has botha 32 & 16 bit slot, I don't believe it has the clearance (thickness) to hold simms like that.

Trying to re-create the system I had used as a kid. P70, TI 486 upgrade chip, and at least 12mb RAM though can't remember exactly how much I got it up to. Had Windows 95 running on it :)

Well, the 16 bit slot in the computer is only half-length, and honestly using a 16 bit memory card when the option of 32-bit exists is silly.

I'd grab one of the last 2 cards, and I don't think it matters.

Up to 8MB with 4x 2mb SIMMS. Now to get that extra 8MB via card!

...and to fix that floppy drive so I can run the config... :p

20190103_145153.jpg

Alright! Just scored a Kingston KTM-3011-4 for a great price. Was touted as being specifically for the 70 & 80, so should work fine with the P70 (I believe!)

Now to find the setup files for it... :/

s-l1600.jpg

Alright! Just scored a Kingston KTM-3011-4 for a great price. Was touted as being specifically for the 70 & 80, so should work fine with the P70 (I believe!)

Now to find the setup files for it... :/

View attachment 50571

the card is nice because IIRC it has four megs soldered down on those first chips top left, 8 on planar and those four would bring you to 12 megs without having to worry about simm clearance ! good find.

I had completely forgotten about the Kingston MCA cards until I was researching 386-486 upgrades and saw the Kingston socket-style ones! It's been 20 years since I've played with PS/2 stuff. Coming back slowly :)

Back