• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MCA Video Card

chulofiasco

Experienced Member
Guys,

I stumbled upon this while searching for parts. It was in an SVGA box, but I can't find any info on it anywhere.

FRU: 15F7932
Part No?: 33F4473

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lolo

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

I think it's over at MCAmafia but there is this beautiful tool you can download and run and it gives you a list of any installed MCA cards, configured or not, by taking their Device ID and comparing to a copy of the list from MCAmafia.

IMG_5856.jpg

I'd give you a copy of the bootable diskette I made but the forum thinks a 200k file is too big to attach.

Don't be so lazy. Do what everyone else does and make it available on Dropbox or one of the many other FREE services!

Alright, if you want it that way you can have it as a rawrite image. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47557993/MCA_IDNT.rar

Now, for you people reading this thread in the future the link above died a week after it was posted because I don't like dozens of little parasitic files leching off the bandwidth a free Dropbox account gives you monthly, so I deleted the file.

Now, for you people reading this thread in the future the link above died a week after it was posted because I don't like dozens of little parasitic files leching off the bandwidth a free Dropbox account gives you monthly, so I deleted the file.
If Dropbox doesn't give a damn I don't see why you should!!! It's *their* bandwidth, not yours. :) What's that attitude all about? Not gettin' any lately? :) :)

Guys,

I stumbled upon this while searching for parts. It was in an SVGA box, but I can't find any info on it anywhere.

FRU: 15F7932
Part No?: 33F4473

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lolo

Much to my surprise I also struck a blank. As I am sure you know the FRU "15F7932" identifies a "field replaceable unit" and there may be several different looking cards that are functionally equivalent. But its not in any of the usual lists, e.g.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/video/Video.htm

however searching on the part number on the chip shows its used on some PS/2 models with video on the Planar (Mother Board board for non-ibmers)

http://ps-2.kev009.com/cgi-bin/sear...DB=default&FMT=query&xDB=default&xFILTERS=--O

will list the relevant pages, one of which is the PS/2 M55SX..
... and looking at the PS/2 55SX it looks like its a boring VGA adaptor....

Yeah, judging from the parts on the board (IBM/Epson 15F6864, Inmos G171-35), this is just a plain old VGA.

I don't think I've ever seen a true IBM MCA VGA on a card before. I wonder what this thing's deal was, considering that most PS/2s had the 15F6864 on the planar.

I don't think I've ever seen a true IBM MCA VGA on a card before. I wonder what this thing's deal was, considering that most PS/2s had the 15F6864 on the planar.

Also, the IBM VGA chips I've seen, either on PS/2 planar or on IBM ISA cards, have a package in the form of a gray ceramic(?) slab. This one has a very different package.
ibmvga.jpg

That's a typical type of IBM encapsulation, ceramic substrate with pins, and an aluminum shell to cover it. It started, IIRC, with SLC in the System/360 but was also used for higher pin count parts. Seems to be a quick way for IBM to throw a chip die in a package when working with something new.

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I downloaded the MCA card ID program, it's pretty cool. I've found myself in a conundrum -- too many spare parts and not enough time to play with them ! i've not yet discovered what this thing is, but my thought process followed the majority of the responses. the fact that i've got an apparently stable system, i haven't wanted to piss her off too much. i found a cornerstone video board MC1608C/11 that i've been meaning to play with as well. i have an NEC LCD3000, i intend on trying out the BNC RGB-HV input with the card.

i've been trying to find a beast video accelerator for the 9595 system i've been building, but there seems to be (is?) a dearth of high color cards left in the wild.

If you want beastly video accelerators an IrisVision paired with the XGA-2 card will work and odds are it's the best combination you'll ever get. Remember that we're in the years before high performance PC video cards existed outside of CAD/CAM.

i wouldn't even know where to find the microchannel version of the iris vision. that sounds like a tall order to fill ! :)

aside from that, what's a good high color card?

XGA could do 16-bit color in 640x480.

There used to be a guy who I think ran the unofficial irisvision page that had spares you could buy but that was years ago.

I've got 64K with xga-2, 800x600 in os/2 ... Maybe I'm just psychotic and don't remember what year I'm supposed to be in... I don't know what I'm holding out for.. Lmao

It seems like 256 colors was a big thing ! ������

��

Back