• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MediaVision Jazz 16 soundcard under DOS

R.F.R.

Hi!
I have another little problem here. On an old PC of mine (http://www.itema-pg.com/PC/Desktop/SCENIC-Pro-C5.htm), I have a MediaVision Jazz 16 soundcard installed.

Jazz16-Soundkarte-FCC-ID-DXL9IL7725N-Part-S26361-D821-V2-ISA-1995.jpg

The suggested method of installation was through win95, as it came with the drivers. Everything went well and in w95 the sound works just fine there.
DOS is a different story though. The soundcard is supposed to be a sound blaster pro compatible card. In games though, no matter what setup I choose (and believe me, I tried them all) I can only get music working, not sound FX. My autoexec.bat does not contain any sound setup lines. In fact, the installation instructions I followed asked to rem any such lines, should they exist.

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong here?

I thought so, too. But as I mentioned, the music does work.
I can also only find this DOS driver http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=418 . Would it work just to install that one, too or does that lead to some type of conflict?
As I mentioned, the installation instructions also say I should not have any sound lines in the autoexec.bat. But that was of course just some random site on the web ^^

As Stone has said, its not possible to get these cards working under dos without some type of driver. Ive got a pair of sb16's (OEM varient) that require a PnP manager to correctly 'Initialize' them. They don't require any memory, just need to be run once to setup the card. I suspect yours is the same.

Ok, I went ahead and installed the other driver I found. It completely messed up my autoexec.bat, but after I got that fixed, I now have sound. Except for Doom and Doom 2 which still refuse to give me SoundFX and only play music.
Thank you guys, for the help!

- SOLVED -

Hello.
Could you please post the "other driver" you've found and worked?
I'm unable to pass the "testing IRQ 5" under DOS. It freezes.
Thanks.

Back