• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Memory for a PS/2, either 25-286 or 30-286 system

raifield

Experienced Member
I've got a Model 30-286 motherboard with 1MB of total memory on it. I've been trying to find memory enough to expand it to the maximum of 4MB, but everything I've found points to the 30pin SIMM memory being proprietary to the system in some way. Would anyone have any memory (2MB or more) for this system they would be willing to part with, or know where to get some?

Having not found any available online, I don't know what to expect price-wise.

The Model 30-286 (and presumably the 25-286) took proprietary IBM-branded RAM. Standard 30-pin SIMMs won't work. Your best bet is to just scan the auctions for 30-pin RAM and snag anything IBM-branded. Or you could take the easy way out and look up Martin Adams - send him an email and he'll usually have what you're looking for and list it.

A lot of IBM PS/2 memory requires 4 pins be dedicated to special functions. Other systems don't use pins that way. So, it isn't enough to find slow parity SIMMs but I don't know of reference that translates IBM part numbers into how other manufacturers label matching SIMMs.

Back