• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Merry Christmas Everyone.

DOS lives on!!

Veteran Member
No matter where you are, how you say it, or what time in the morning you wake up to open presents (For me it's 5:30am), Merry Christmas and a happy new year to the world and all thee who scour these forums.:)

Let's just hope the world doesn't really end in 2012.

:cool3: :xmas: :kitty2: :happy2: :jumping1: :hugs:

No snow here yet, either, but Merry Christmas everybody!

/edit I should have looked outside-- it's snowing like crazy.

Last edited:
Just adding my Christmas greetings to friends on this forum. No snow here. it is warm, sunny and we will spend the day eating salads, having BBQs and swimming.

Tez

...And Season's Greetings, warm wishes for a happy holiday time, and thoughts for those less fortunate than most of us (see NZ earthquake thread for example).

Happy Christmas time, from one of the resident grinches ;-)

Merry merry to all here.

For me it's not Christmas until tomorrow (24th) and we're keeping quiet. .. still getting lots of goodies to go through though. We've had snow for two months now and it's waayyyy freezing so I'm playing stoker and shovelling logs in the stove like it was a steam engine going up hill. I'll still need lots of sugar to keep the body temp up though. :)

PS: I'm going to go down the trail and nab a little tree tomorrow. Somehow, no mater what we do, there's got to be a tree and candles.

Merry Christmas to everyone. I got volunteered to get up and take pictures...how fun, just like thanksgiving. After that I guess I get to come home and do nothing.

As for something strange...here is something one of my friends made, an HTML5 christmas card. I have no idea of it works under Internet Explorer (does it have HTML5 support?) but I know that the latest versions of Chrom(e\ium), Firefox and Opera support it.

http://vigo.sites.amoebaos.com/christmas.html?Vintage_Computer_Forum_Members?Compgeke

Merry Christmas to everyone. I got volunteered to get up and take pictures...how fun, just like thanksgiving. After that I guess I get to come home and do nothing.

As for something strange...here is something one of my friends made, an HTML5 christmas card. I have no idea of it works under Internet Explorer (does it have HTML5 support?) but I know that the latest versions of Chrom(e\ium), Firefox and Opera support it.

http://vigo.sites.amoebaos.com/christmas.html?Vintage_Computer_Forum_Members?Compgeke
Nope, it doesn't work will Internet Explorer (shake fist a Bill Gates & Co).

At our house, we've always got up really early to open presents. Usually around 5:30am! And whoever isn't opening a present takes the pictures with my Mavica.

Finished work yesterday with with a bit of a rush getting stuff out for overseas customers. Looking forward to the two week break. Mowed the lawns and am taken it quietly today. Connies doing the Christmas baking and it smells yummy. Over to the grandsons house tomorrow to open presents then off to my brothers place for A Christmas Lunch.

Hope you all have a great one.

Last edited:
Yes, let us all worldwide keep this tradition alive on this website of greeting each other around the world as the different time zones announce the holidays – it starts with Tez in New Zealand I believe.

Please share you stories too – many are interested – and so different worldwide on this global web site.

=================================================================

If interested I offer the following – if not, the good old delete key – no issue with me ever.

Our situation SE PA USA – three major storms from August to October + earthquake but nothing like Tez in NZ and other parts of the world, like Japan.

We were “ground zero” in our area – the worst ! Just ask for internet references for more info.

First day of winter yesterday was very warm and humid / rainy – for us temperatures in 60’s F not C, all very unusual for this time of year – global warming ???

==================================================================

Today was also the last day of the plumber, but have had an electrician, roofer, etc. for all damage – worst in 40 years we have lived in our so rural area. But as far as I know, no deaths or injuries ! Many inconveniences – no power for over a week – could not leave live electric wires in driveway - flushing toilets with 5 gallon buckets of melted snow gets old fast, using a BBQ to warm your food outside, sleeping / reading / listening to radio, etc. is boring, but all you can do. I have not been “camping” since my college days 50 + years ago – but that was then and this is now – much older and appreciate some comforts of life.

Good news, “new generators “ – all of our neighbors have them – limited, but hey, you can at least have some of the comforts of a normal life, not all, but some. Plus lot less damage of property.

So enjoy ! We all have much to be thankful for in so many ways.

I offer this for “ perspective / context “ – all part of my decades of science, technology and society [STS] research – so we can try to do better in the future, if possible, but we have to continue to try. We do what we can and together may make a difference in some way.

================================================================

One of our family members is back from Iraq safely from being in the air force !

I am sure many others on this site have similar situations with some still in hostile areas.

Thank you for their service and thank you to the families for all they do.

They are doing a service to our country, as controversial as it may be.

Freedom is not free !

==============================================================

My now almost 90 year old uncle was at Pearl Harbor – 70th anniversary this year – he went back once and had too – his comment was compared to 9/11 – at least we could see the smiling faces of the attackers, not like 9/11 when you could not.

Notice I did not say Japanese – have had many friends who where – now we start to get into very some very difficult and complex areas.

Also note “ computing “ and radar was just getting started back then – check it out – Google !

=================================================================

Also a “good” Catholic priest I knew well in my academic career at a Catholic college, there may not be many, was the chaplain in the Air Force. He and another officer got in the military car to break the news to the family. In as stern face, he said it was “ very
rough !” But he did it for any good he could do for the family, who knew only too well when that car pulled up to their home what it meant. It could be just one of so many accidents or it could be …………………..!

So how does this relate to our hobby computing ?

Well, as many know, families can thru the internet actually see / hear their military family members far away globally and interact in “ real time “ with them as if they were in the same room, especially the kids, who so miss their mothers and dads.

Then the military car pulls up the next day !

But at least thru computing they had the chance to …………………………

Some sobering thoughts for those who take the holidays for granted. Some cannot.

So enjoy and let us keep our vintage computing hobby going for whatever good we can do for anyone who wants it.

All the best and hope you have a great 2012 !

Statistically as a scientist, good times should now prevail for many years – we have been over the worst , for now.

I am leaving my “ soapbox “ now. Who is next ?

Frank.

Merry Christmas, or as the locals say "Frohe Weihnachten" and wishing everyone prosperity (however you define it) for the coming year.

Well, this Christmas went great! Everyone came over at 5:45am (eastern time) and we opened presents. I got some higher capacity flashdrives, some Christmas records, a big tub of GoJo pumice hand cleaner (I love that stuff), and and old wall-hanging rotary telephone from the 50s. It still works, bell and everything. And a bread maker.

Merry Christmas everybody! My wife got me an electronic paper airplane launcher kit. It's awesome! I already put it together and launched a couple paper airplanes across the living room. Actually, we're having Christmas at my mother-in-laws house, so the paper airplanes are flying all over her house. haha

and old wall-hanging rotary telephone from the 50s. It still works, bell and everything.

Awesome. Does your phone provider still support rotary? If not, I'd still love a phone like this just for the ring, and for answering. Too bad I don't have a land line anymore; my wife and I just use our cells for everything.

Yes, our local phone company STILL provides rotary support. And the ring, I love the ring it has. Just like the old'en days.

I fear that one day phone companies will all together stop supporting land lines.

Back