• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft handout - "Customizing MS-DOS Version 1.23 and later"

Chuck(G)

25k Member
This one just turned up in a pile of stuff I was getting ready to throw out. Intended for MSDOS OEMs, obviously.

It starts out with an explanation of the table starting at 0003 in MSDOS.SYS, which turns out to be something for template editing. The next page talks about the jump table in IO.SYS that starts at absolute location 0400h, that looks like it was copied out of the CP/M 2 alteration guide. The next page talks about the Microsoft standard diskette formats (8" 3740 compatible, 8" 1024 bytes/sector, etc. Lots of other detailed OEM stuff.

Does this document exist anywhere other than in my desk drawer?

There is a PDF with the same name located in Bitsavers under the seattleComputer directory. 26 pages long. I can't know if the document you have matches the previously scanned one.

The first 7 pages or so contain the same text, but formatted differently. In my copy, what follows is different--my text is 50 pages long and goes into some detail about OEM features and using CP/M (e.g. RDCPM) and winds up with the section "CONCATENATION WITH THE COPY COMMAND".

Could be a combination of various documents concocted by the boys in Bellvue; I don't know.

Back