• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft Language Card acting up

Mochatea396

Experienced Member
Hello group,
I recently repaired a faulty Microsoft Language card that was locking the system up, reading disks incorrectly or not reading them at all. System worked fine with the card removed. The card had 3 bad TTLs. Both LS367s and the LS86. I replaced both tantilums as well. Now the card passed diagnostics and worked fine. Today I noticed it was doing the same thing it did before. Not loading programs correctly, locking the system up, intermittently not reading disks it just read. I removed the card and the system works fine. I was able to get the diagnostics to boot and it says the language card is fine also. (Which I’m certain it’s not) I tested each TTL and they are all still showing good. Anyone ever have a similar situation? I can’t seem to find a schematic for this card. There are a few other things on the board I can’t determine the values.
Thanks group

Hello,
I do have a couple of M$ language card that don't work at all. Every IC is okay. I do suspect bad connection as the sockets look like crap. I don't bother to fix them.

Hello,
I do have a couple of M$ language card that don't work at all. Every IC is okay. I do suspect bad connection as the sockets look like crap. I don't bother to fix them.
Would you be willing to sell me one? I am looking for an original Microsoft branded one for my Rev4 Apple II. Ones less thing for you to fix ;)

Also just a thought to throw into the hat.. Have you tried using IC clip leads on your multimeter on the flex cabe? One end to the other and flex it alot per pin and try and see if there may be a break somewhere in that flex cable.

Testing the cable this morning I noticed I had to twist the cable pretty good to get a reading on the #11 pin. I got continuity to the wire end but the solder point on the board the cable needed twisting. #14 was intermittent as well. Had continuity to the solder point but just the right position of the cable and I would loose it. So it looks like my first move is to make a new cable.

Would anyone have a link to these 16pin male IDC connectors? All the links I found seem to have the spacing too close. Looks like they’re 7mm.

Thanks group

Just curious would a normal socket fit into the holes and then you can just make a regular IDC socket to socket style flex cable?

The thought of socketing it did cross my mind. But I would still need a connector with male pins from the cable to go into the socket, no? Kind of like what I mistakenly did with my Memory selectors.

Back