• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft Network client MSDOS IBM AT

robbo007

Experienced Member
Hi guys,
I've got my IBM AT setup with Microsoft MSDOS networking client so I can access a share on my Windows XP machine on the network. I've got everything loaded on the AT with TCP/IP and Netbeui protocols. I've got a router between the IBM AT and the Windows XP machine. Pings work between machines.

From my understanding Netbeui is not a routable protocol. Is there any way to have the Microsoft client work with only TCP/IP?

I get the error 6118: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available. It seems to connect to the share but can't list the contents. Gets an error 53 on a DIR.

I gather this is because the netbeui protocol can't reach the Windows XP machine due to it not being routable?

Thanks,

I worked in an environment where we had windows 2003 servers (basically XP) and we used DOS boot floppies to connect to network shares on a 2003 server to do bare metal restores in the case of a catastrophic failure. At some point something change, I believe it was a security patch, and the DOS client could no longer connect. I believe there was a work around, group policy or reg key, I don't recall for sure, but the security team would not allow us to use it o the windows servers. Out backup vendor gave us a WinPE disk to use for our bare metal restores from that point onward.

So, I believe it is possible to use TCP/IP only, but that may still not work if your XP install is relatively current on patches, at least not without some tweaks.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I have that registry settings set to 0. I have other machines on the direct ethernet network connecting fine to the Windows XP share but they use netbeui also with TCPIP. Its just the one machine that has a router forwarding ip from another subnet between it, that does not work. I was thinking its because of NetBEUI not be able to be forwarded. If I dont load netbeui protocol in my protocol.ini when i use the command net view or net use to map the drive (or start the workstation service on the DOS PC) I get an error about netbeui not loaded. So do you need the workstation service to use the command net use ? if so what am I missing on the DOS side configuration so it works only with TCP/IP ?

Resolved. Darn Windows XP firewall. As this is a different subnet to my other dos machines I forgot to check that :)
Cheers

Back