• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Military computer on craigslist. Any idea what it is?

I would but they won't respond lol. The closest thing I found was an ebay auction which makes it seem perhaps less interesting IARRCIS MILITARY BATTLEFIELD RUGGEDISED COMPUTER. They aren't the same (keyboard layout is different) but similar look. This ebay one is British but obviously looks like it may just be a standard x86 box. Unfortunately I can't tell if the CL one is the same since it's off. Certainly would try and make a trade if they'd reply but so far they're AWOL.

It’s a SIAC 486, uses an industrial backplane and a signal board computer. The military had tons of them for diagnostics on vehicles, use in test shops and anywhere you needed a portable computer before the Panasonic “tough book” or Getac or any number of other companies started selling rugged laptops. Everyone I have seen had a 486/25 or 33, 32 Megs of RAM and they used a removable IDE hard drive. The hard drive caddy has an electric heater to keep the drive warm. The power supply is a 24 volt DC supply but the cable between the computers has a bunch of pins for battery charging and the like. The last one I had just for fun stuck a 486DX4 100 in it and ran Windows 98, the integrated track ball mouse is a standard deal on military systems.

Back