• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Miscellaneous Vintage Components

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
Hello VCF'ers:

As I'm going through my stuff, I'm starting to break down and separate PCB's from metal for recycling, but will list here for a little while the vintage stuff before that stuff goes to the recyclers:

1. AST ComboPlus, Fully Populated (Does not have Printer Port Dongle). $20 shipped Priority Mail (US).
2. IBM 5250 Emulator Card (8-Bit) $10 shipped Priority Mail (US).
3. IBM 8525 (PS/2 Model 25) System Board with 640k RAM. $20 shipped Priority Mail (US).
4. IBM Asynchronous Communications Card (8-Bit) $10 shipped Priority Mail (US).
5. 3Com EtherLink II/16 (8 & 16 Bit Modes) $20 shipped Priority Mail (US).
6. IBM 5170 System Board (Rev. 3 BIOS) $20 shipped Priority Mail (US).
7. IBM 5170 Power Supply $25 shipped Priority Mail (US).
8. Paradise Systems Multi-Display Card with Parallel Port $20 shipped Priority Mail (US).

All prices include shipping.

PM with me questions, offers.

Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited:
Have you thought about using the marketplace? It makes it a lot easier to find what you have for sale when compared to threads on a web forum.

Mike, I sell a lot of things here and I've thought about the marketplace on more than one occasion. In all honesty, I've not yet used it because it just seems to me that there is little or no traffic there and very little response to listed marketplace items. Do correct me if I am wrong in that appraisal as I still have plenty of things to sell and if it would actually be worthwhile for me to spend the time to list some things there I will surely have another look at it. It just seems (to me) that nothing or very little at best sells there.

Not to hijack the thread ...

In the past two years I have been able to sell close to 40 items, including some things that I never thought I would get rid of. (Limited interest/market) I generally sell to clean out the basement, so the stuff is priced right. But even on some of the more expensive items (still priced below ebay) I have been able to sell them. So there is probably more traffic there than you think.

Purchasers have been all over the world. I have shipped to Sweden, the Netherlands, Australia, Moscow, Mexico City, and Canada. I have had one or two people who purchased an item and then never followed up. I have also had a few who threw in extra for a beer. In general it has been a very positive experience.

The key advantage is that once an item is listed it can be re-listed over and over again with no effort. I don't have to worry about the thread getting stale and passing out of view, prompting people to do the dreaded 'bump'. The auction format is more structured too - all of the pictures, shipping information, details on the item, etc. are present. Each item has a view count so you can gauge interest in it.

Listing is not difficult after you get the hang of it.

And we have a chicken and egg problem. Putting in a little extra effort to take pictures and make a listing on these things will help us get past that problem.

I love that people are making their items for sale here instead of on eBay. But I think the marketplace is usually overlooked, and that puzzles me. It's been great. We're never going to get eBay prices because the market is smaller, but it is far more convenient and my items have been getting more exposure than if I posted them in a thread.

Mike

I hear what you are saying but when I look over there I see ~ 150 items listed and just 1 bid and that's what makes me skeptical. With bids on < 1% of the listed items I think you can see what I was getting at.

I always check the marketplace. I've gotten some good stuff off of it. You just have to be patient. Why not have the best of both worlds ? List in the marketplace, and post here that you've got 'X' for sale in the marketplace, and embed the link.
patscc

I have also purchased items from the marketplace. I've also bid on something and never heard from the owner after the listing had ended. It seems to me that if the marketplace is what we should use to buy and sell from this forum, this forum section should not exist. Just have a link to the marketplace, and rule that the forums cannot be used for buy/sell, as that is not the purpose. I'm fine either way, just pointing out the obvious.
Kipp

It's not so obvious.

The forum area is for the occasional sale. Not as structured, and no separate login/account needed.

The marketplace is for longer term or larger amounts of items for sale. It gives more visibility to items; unlike threads the items just don't disappear from view after aging a few weeks.

Back