• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

missing Atari ST key

2icebitn

Banned
I assume I need only the actual key (it's early, not totally sure). Can anyone provide a replacement?

IMG_20190219_075558.jpgIMG_20190219_075623.jpg

Ok shined a light on it, clearly the plunger is missing a piece, duh, so I guess I'd need that too.

I tried, sort of, to pop a different key off, didn't happen, and I'm askeered I'll break another one. Need a puller. It should just pop off, no?

Ok plungers are available and not too expensive. I'm not paying 10 - 15$ for an individual key though. I have half a mind to try and cast one.

Last edited:
Before you put a new key on there you need to take all the other keys off and clean that nasty board! Yuck.

Plastic gets brittle. When I had a 520ST, I pulled all of the keys off to install "booster springs". Now, of course, the plastic has deteriorated and could well break.

(cue: Shel Silverstein)

Yeah, you can easily 3d print a new plunger but I don't see anyone that has already created that model for the ST, so you'd pretty much have to remove one and model a new one. The problem of course is the key, which isn't really a good 3d printable part (you could but it would look super ghetto). Like Verault, in every case where I've been missing a key, i eventually broke down and bought a new key. For broken plungers, i've 3d printed new plungers (originally for my Apple iie) but even those were eventually replaced with original plungers because I didn't like the feel of the 3d printed version (I don't have the best 3d printer). But generally, plungers are the perfect use for a 3d printer and the route we'll all have to take when parts run out.

Yeah, you can, but he also said in his post that he wasn't going to pay $10 for an individual key cap, so I'm assuming it's that auction he was referring to. That said, there aren't really any other options.

Have you reached out to Best Electronics or B&C? They might have a replacement or whole replacement keyboard. Make your ST like new again. :)

Back