• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MMF?

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
Flipping thru an old magazine, (1981) I came across an article introducing CBM's two new machines, the 6809-based MicroMainFrame, and the CBM 8032 Color Computer. Have these machines ever been spotted in the wild, or did they even make it beyond vaporware?

--T

i don't know about the other computer, but the MicroMain Frame was certainly made.

it was also known as the SuperPet, and was designed in canada!!!

chris

It's in the August 1981 issue of Personal Computing magazine, page 102. The article is a full page, so I won't type in the whole thing here, but here's an excerpt:

Two new computers have been added to the Commodore line: Micro-Mainframe, which combines the power and languages of mainframe systems with the low cost of microcomputers, and the CBM 8032 Color Computer, a color version of the CBM 8032 microcomputer.

The Micro-Mainframe which also is based on the standard CMB[sic] 8032, features an integrated green phosphor 12-inch (80 x 25) display and 73-key typewriter-style keyboard. The keyboard offers standard upper/lowercase, numeric keypad and full cursor control.

Commodore International has built this computer as a pseudo 16-bit 6809-based system with 36k ROM, 96k user RAM and 2k screen RAM (134k total). The system supports all current CBM peripherals except the CN2 cassette recorder.

The part I thought was interesting is that it's 6809-based. I've heard of the Super PET, but I never knew it was a 6809 machine. I wonder how software-compatible it is with other CBM-type machines? (The webpage linked to above has it running both 6502 & 6809 CPUs, but the article doesn't mention anything about a 6502 co-processor).

--T

No idea. I posted a link to this topic to a Usenet message in comp.sys.cbm if you don't mind. Someone may have an idea what Personal Computing was writing about.

Back