• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MOD Trackers or other useful music software that'll run on 286/10?

And having a 56 kHz sample rate is actually useful too as there are some clever things you can do with noise shaping to improve perceived sound quality that you can't really do very well at 44.1 kHz.

Is it possible to port glx2.12 (galaxy music player) to support the tandy-dac and the tandy/cga ?

I don't know why GLX doesn't get along with CGA. It works fine in MDA text mode. So if you have a Tandy 1000RL/SL/TL with a sound card, you can run it in monochrome mode by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V to switch the onboard video into MDA/Hercules mode.

Is it possible to port glx2.12 (galaxy music player) to support the tandy-dac and the tandy/cga ?

I don't think the source-code is available, so Tandy DAC support would have to be patched in-place into the binary.
I believe the Tandy DAC works much the same as a DAC on the parallel port (eg Covox), as in, you write 8-bit values at a given interval.
So perhaps just patching the parallel port address to the Tandy DAC address would be enough to make it work.

My T1000RL/HD has a XTIDE in the only 8Bit ISA Slot. So no additional Sound- or Videocards possible.
Afaik no support for the DAC yet. I don't know if a covox works on that "special" lpt-port.

Using a parallel port DAC on a PSSJ-bearing Tandy would be somewhat redundant. The Tandy DAC supports the "direct write" playback method that Scali mentioned (this, in addition to a DMA-transfer mode). By configuring the Tandy DAC to operate in direct-write mode, and patching the parallel port list to refer to the DAC address, you essentially have an internal Covox Speech Thing. Jeffrey Hayes', "SETDAC" utility was written to do exactly this. With it, and concerning GLX playback on the Tandy 1000 RL (using the LPT2 entry as an example):

setdac.com /p2
glx.exe /oc2 /m11 modfile.mod

Et, voilà - GLX sound, but no graphics from the Tandy video chipset outside of the MDA mode, as vwestlife mentioned.

Jeffrey Hayes also created a Tandy-DAC-specific MOD/S3M player though, if that's of any interest as an alternative.

Thanks for your votes :)
This thread is old, and what is asked just before also work: Tandy DAC and CGA :)

Using a parallel port DAC on a PSSJ-bearing Tandy would be somewhat redundant. The Tandy DAC supports the "direct write" playback method that Scali mentioned (this, in addition to a DMA-transfer mode). By configuring the Tandy DAC to operate in direct-write mode, and patching the parallel port list to refer to the DAC address, you essentially have an internal Covox Speech Thing. Jeffrey Hayes', "SETDAC" utility was written to do exactly this. With it, and concerning GLX playback on the Tandy 1000 RL (using the LPT2 entry as an example):

setdac.com /p2
glx.exe /oc2 /m11 modfile.mod

Et, voilà - GLX sound, but no graphics from the Tandy video chipset outside of the MDA mode, as vwestlife mentioned.

Jeffrey Hayes also created a Tandy-DAC-specific MOD/S3M player though, if that's of any interest as an alternative.
Mod Master XT Support the tandy DAC in DMA :) Ok, Mod Master XT did not exist when you wrote this comment.

Back