• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 2 card extender board (with pics)

lowen

Veteran Member
I ran across this is my 'junk boards' box the other day, and it took me just a little while to figure out what it was.
20160718_165711.jpg

Huh, a right-angle card extender? What could possibly need such a beast? And what's up with the card edge socket on the left? Hmmmm....a ZIF card edge?

edge-closed.jpgedge-opened.jpg

Hmm even further: look at the side-by side of this extender and my video/keyboard card:
side-by-side.jpg

Hmm, you don't suppose......
card-inserted.jpg

I always wondered how you were supposed to work on a Model II's cards in that awfully hard to get at card cage...... It's a minor miracle this board didn't get thrown away, and I have no idea how I came by this, unless it was in the Model II-upgrade-to-a-16 that I had years ago.....

Very nice. Was that an official Tandy service part? Looks easy to replicate but I imagine it would be expensive to reproduce in small quantities given the size of the board. I'd be willing to chip in for a batch though if there are others interested!

Neat!

I don't remember what the Model II card cage looks like; only the Model 6000 cage is fresh(ish) in my mind, and I don't think that a right angle board would work in the 6000 cage.

The only other place I've seen ZIF card sockets used was in the Lisa, where the lever both retracted the fingers and opened up one end of the connector to allow the expansion board to be slid in from the side.

It seems to me it belongs to the equipment of a Tandy factory or repair center.
You can insert it in a Model II and attach all repaired or upgraded boards on an easy way (in the zero force insertion socket) to test them.
Mostly there is a mirror placed in front of the monitor to check easy and quick the results.

@Pete.
It would be a nice idea to reproduce some of these extender boards, please keep me informed.

Btw.
If you use my hans03 and hans04 with longer flatcables and remove the resistors and resistor arrays you have the same device.

You can insert it in a Model II and attach all repaired or upgraded boards on an easy way (in the zero force insertion socket) to test them.
Mostly there is a mirror placed in front of the monitor to check easy and quick the results.

@Pete.
It would be a nice idea to reproduce some of these extender boards, please keep me informed.

Btw.
If you use my hans03 and hans04 with longer flatcables and remove the resistors and resistor arrays you have the same device.

That's right, Hans...I still have those hans03 and 04 boards on my bench. They will negate the need to develop a board like this one...and it will work in a 12/16B/6000 too. You probably have the most experience using your adapters with the 40 pin ribbon cables on the M2 bus. Do you have any idea how long those 40 pin cables can get and still work reliably? Obviously, the longer the better for accessibility purposes at the risk of signal errors.

Hi Pete.

During development I used cables of about 60 cm. each.
If you use it as an extender, you can remove the resistors, longer could be possible, on the other hand
signal errors could show up..

Just give it a try but go for sure ;)

Hi Pete.

During development I used cables of about 60 cm. each.
If you use it as an extender, you can remove the resistors, longer could be possible, on the other hand
signal errors could show up..

Just give it a try but go for sure ;)

ok, 2 feet...that should be enough to make it easy to use on a II or a 6000. thanks.

I'm trying to recall where I got it, but coming up blank. It does look like something that would have been a low-volume item for use at the computer repair centers. The card edge fingers are gold-plated, so it's not likely homebrew, but it also doesn't have a part number on it (other than for the ZIF card edge socket; A-MP 531036-6 date code 7940).

I would personally rather have the hans03/04 combo since I don't have a Model II and this board is pretty much useless on a 12-series box. I would be willing to trade, come to think of it, and get this in the hands of someone who could actually use it in repairing Model II's or 16A's.

But it was an interesting find, and I thought everyone would enjoy.

I would personally rather have the hans03/04 combo since I don't have a Model II and this board is pretty much useless on a 12-series box. I would be willing to trade, come to think of it, and get this in the hands of someone who could actually use it in repairing Model II's or 16A's.

I'd trade you my Hans03 and Hans 04 board for it, if I can still get another Hans03 and 04 from Ian.

The Model II card extender is being used with great success. Here I am testing my Hans01 on the extender. Lamar, you'll have that Hans 03 and 04 soon. Thanks.

IMG_1593.jpgIMG_1596.jpgIMG_1595.jpgIMG_1594.jpg

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work.... any time you send is fine on the boards, Pete.

That right-angle extender is just the ticket for working on the II's card cage. It's as if it were custom-made for the job... ;-)

@Pete

It looks great and is a perfect tool to repair and test all kind of cards.
I would advice you to cover both sides of the extender with a good layer of adhesive plastic coating to prevent any accidental shortcuts.
Many traces has the direct 5 and 12 volt from the power supply on it.
It could damage your computer and gives you a lot more to repair. ;)

@Pete

It looks great and is a perfect tool to repair and test all kind of cards.
I would advice you to cover both sides of the extender with a good layer of adhesive plastic coating to prevent any accidental shortcuts.
Many traces has the direct 5 and 12 volt from the power supply on it.
It could damage your computer and gives you a lot more to repair. ;)

Very good suggestion, Hans...Thanks!

Back