• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 2000 Upgrade, Need Info

the wizard

Experienced Member
I am adding a math co processor to my model 2000, I put in a newer(Different) CPU, what other modifications must I do, I have 2 other chips: D82188(28 pin DIP) & C8087-1(40 pin DIP) if these are needed were would they go if they are not needed please inform. Thank You and I will see some of you at the TA.

I am adding a math co processor to my model 2000, I put in a newer(Different) CPU, what other modifications must I do, I have 2 other chips: D82188(28 pin DIP) & C8087-1(40 pin DIP) if these are needed were would they go if they are not needed please inform. Thank You and I will see some of you at the TA.

What do youmean by a different cpu? It won't run any faster (you may not want it to run any faster) unless you change the crystal. A 16 mhz crystal should be installed.

I haven'-t op3n3d a 2000 in a long time. Is an 8087 socket even present? Can't remember. The tech manual can be downloaded, not positive what help it would be. Very few programs will take advantage of the 8087 regardless.

What do you mean by a different cpu? It won't run any faster (you may not want it to run any faster) unless you change the crystal. A 16 mhz crystal should be installed.

I haven'-t op3n3d a 2000 in a long time. Is an 8087 socket even present? Can't remember. The tech manual can be downloaded, not positive what help it would be. Very few programs will take advantage of the 8087 regardless.

oooops, Sorry. What I meant to say is. I have a small board(LEIA MV 145 84), Supposedly a Math co processor upgrade,to a model 2000 and some other random IC's that came with it one being another CPU, and was wondering what I needed to do to install a math co processor to my model 2000. I have a Tech Manual here but it does not mention a Math Co Processor, How ever I have a small booklet giving instructions on how to install a Math Co Processor but it is very sparse in info and does not state what or were things should go.

It's not impossible afaik to interface an 8087 to an 80186, but it's going to require ample research. I wouldnhave to believe an 8087 was an option, as Tandy touted the 2000 as sort of a workstation with semi advanced graphics and whatnot. That's about all I can say though. I think the only computer I have or even have owned is the NEC APC III and iinm that is retrofitted by means of a c-bus board. I actually have that closet cleared out so I can fiddle with the III some. My 2 Tandys are also accessible, but I don't think either works :(. In any event, it's a task to be overcome. Is your 2000 running? Watcha runnin on it?

There was a 80C187 NPU made, but they're scarce as hen's teeth; they'd be the standard co-processor for the 80186 and 80188.

I have a 40 Pin IC with C8087 1 on it is that what you are referring to. It has gold legs and gold square on it. If so were on the MB would I put it.

C8087 1.jpg

Ok, omg, people are real good for inserting erroneus information. It hasn't been established that the 2000 can even take a math copro, much less the 80187.

Have you looked at the 2000s mainboard? Ever? That's the first order of business. Once you get down in there, tell us if you see a spare socket for anything. If not, we're back to square 0.

According to wikipedia, there's a coprocessor board that plugs directly imto the cpu socket. That's something of a howl to me as the model 2000 uses a ceramic pga, not a dip. Look you learn something new everyday, but someone is going to have to tell me how a board can plug into the 2000s socket.

You said you had the chip and a board or something. Show us photos and maybe the revelation will be something we all can enjoy.

Ok, omg, people are real good for inserting erroneus information. It hasn't been established that the 2000 can even take a math copro, much less the 80187.

Have you looked at the 2000s mainboard? Ever? That's the first order of business. Once you get down in there, tell us if you see a spare socket for anything. If not, we're back to square 0.

I thought this was the same as a Math CO Pro

Attachments

• Math COPRO1.jpg
    Math COPRO1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 3
  • MATH COPRO2.jpg
    MATH COPRO2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
  • MATH COPRO3.jpg
    MATH COPRO3.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/docs/t2kfaq.txt

" 24) Where's the socket for the 8087 co-processor?
------
Unlike a good many other machines based on the Intel 80x86 family of
processors, the Model 2000 doesn't have a socket for it's co-processor. The
8087 was mounted on a daughtercard, which was then mounted to the mainboard.
It was not possible for the user to do this upgrade, though Envision Designs
did come up with an alternative to the official Tandy upgrade later. Neither
of these upgrades is still available."

That sounds about right. There may have been a tech bulletin for installing the 8087 option. Those arenon the net also if you look. Good luck with it.

An exceedingly rare item. Fortunately for you it came with instructions.

I must be doing something wrong because when I power up my 2000 with the daughter card installed, it wont boot, I have pictures of the card with a 28 pin IC next to it in a previous reply above.. If this chip is needed to work I don't know were it goes because it is not mentioned in the instructions.

The 82188 is a bus controller. If there's one present on the mobo, or, I would have guessed an 8288, maybe you need to swap? Tread real carefully there. But I have to ask, did you read the instructions? What do they say?

Ok it looks like your board has the bus controller. If you give us specific part numbers we can at least identify what chips we're dealing with. The tech ref, starting on pg.138 doesn't make mention of an 8288/82188. That's just the mobo section. It would be nice if the manual gave us, along with everything else, the schematics and artwork for the 8087 upgrade. I didn't look the whole thing over to see if it was there or not. I suspect not.

Did you pull the board and see if the computer could boot without it?

Last edited:
The 8087 card is a kludge. The right way is to incorporate an 80c187 into the system--that's the co-processor that the 80186 was designed to use.

The 80186 isn't a PGA. It's a CLCC. And there isn't a FPU socket. However the header next to the CPU carries all the pins of the 80186 and is used to add-on a board.

0902180254.jpg

Last edited:
The 82188 is a bus controller. If there's one present on the mobo, or, I would have guessed an 8288, maybe you need to swap? Tread real carefully there. But I have to ask, did you read the instructions? What do they say?

Ok it looks like your board has the bus controller. If you give us specific part numbers we can at least identify what chips we're dealing with. The tech ref, starting on pg.138 doesn't make mention of an 8288/82188. That's just the mobo section. It would be nice if the manual gave us, along with everything else, the schematics and artwork for the 8087 upgrade. I didn't look the whole thing over to see if it was there or not. I suspect not.

Did you pull the board and see if the computer could boot without it?

Yes it boots fine without the board. In the photos I posted, if you look to the right of the Daughter Board(LEIA MV-145 85(white letters front)(1700269 REV B/8709601)Reverse side) I have a 28 pin DIP D82188.

Last edited:
Back