• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

California Model 28 teletype, manuals, expendables, paper tape, more...

Covers: California

tomjennings

Delivery Options
Local Pickup Only
(I was a VCF forum member many years ago, when Sellem ran it, was active then, but not since. This is my first post in many years. I'm offering nifty stuff for too cheap etc and probably sound like a scammer, lol. BUT I HAVE REFERENCES! I'm the author of FidoNet, you can find my name, website, contact info on Wikipedia or from other people. The stuff below is quite real and is now a burden on me.)

Cleaning out my lab of beloved stuff that I'll never use. This stuff isn't junk (OK, depends on who you ask : - ) but top-notch choice stuff I used myself but after 25 years of storage, it can probably go. This is all in Los Angeles CA.

Model 28 teletype, fine working condition. I cleaned and lubricated it 20 years ago, innards are dusty once again, but some automotive freon and lube is all it needs. It works now without a hitch. Has an ASCII adapter I made but you'll want to replace it, it's dumb and slow. (It's this tty in my Story Teller project.... https://www.sr-ix.com/Objects/Story-Teller/index.html)

Teletype corp manuals (technical, adjustments, theory of op, someone's navships training manual).

Eleven (11) rolls of VINTAGE tty paper, 8.5" wide, wheat, from the 1950's, rolls are perfect, not bonked, etc. I hauled these home from Ed Grothus' BLACK HOLE in Los Alamos NM, 20 years ago. These are on eBay now.

A BRAND NEW UNOPENED case of canary tty paper, 8.5", purchased new by me from WestNC.com (Western Numerical Controls) right before they went out of business, 2003?. I opened the case yesterday to photograph it! These are PERFECT PERFECT.

One case (7 rolls) of new-old-stock pink 1" paper tape, perfect condition, some dust on the top roll. Probably came from Ed's.

One case minus one roll (total 6 rolls in box) of NEW black 1" paper tape, I bought this new from WestNC also for my own use.

"Many" (dozen+, see photo) of new/unused 1" tape, paper, reinforced paper, mylar.

"Many" (dozen or so, see photo) of boxed reinforced 1" tape, most marked "Friden" but came from Avery.

Hand tape winding machine and take-apart reels.

Some super-clean tape reader and punch mechanisms. Readers aren't scarce, but interfaceable punches are: modern MOSFETs make this easy but my interest is now zero.

A Model 102 strip printer, WORKING, "modernized", with ASCII adapter. Alas, no one makes 5/16" wide tape!

A typing reperforator for 11/16" tape, I took the motor out to repair it, ran out of steam, have all the parts, etc.

I, and this stuff, are in Los Angeles, Silverlake/Echo Park area, must be picked up, I will not ship, too logistically complex with all the boxing necessary, etc. It will fit in a station wagon (lol).

$500 takes it now, or make offer. I have no idea what this stuff is worth now, if I ever did. Lowball me, fine, I won't get mad (yeah, I remember what VCF was like), and if no one pays more, it's yours -- I want it gone, come git.

tom

PXL_20220628_175412329.jpgPXL_20220628_230823377.jpgPXL_20220628_232218458.jpgPXL_20220630_184728651.jpgPXL_20220630_185709862.jpgPXL_20220630_185744592.jpgPXL_20220630_185835600.jpgPXL_20220630_185905215.jpgPXL_20220630_190551997.jpgPXL_20220630_190616486.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Yeah, I wish I had the space to set this all up. I bet the https://computerhistory.org/ could give this the best home.

Although an individual might enjoy it for a short while, the museum which has multiple funding to keep it the museum open would be a great place to save the history and the story of the system.

I think it would be nice to get people to donate money to having the setup moved to the Computer History Museum.

thanks for the suggestion, but CHM I'm sure has more than their share of teletypes. They're not rare, just poorly distributed : - )

The expendables are probably more "valuable" than the gear at this point, but even there, this stuff isn't *that* scarce. I mostly want it gone, and for someone else to do the schlepping, to be honest. It's heavy!

I would really love to take on some kind of paper tape punch and reader project. I always figured I could design and build a 3D printed paper tape reader, but a punch is beyond my fabrication abilities.

If nobody comes for the stuff, and you eventually are willing to ship (I can't pick it up) a punch mechanism and some tape, I might be interested.

Oh and it's great to meet you online -- I used some FidoNet in my time! (even had a PlanetConnect dish on my roof for a while)

Scott

Thanks! You're welcome!

Yeah, shipping is the one thing that won't happen. In fact it's the thing I'm most wanting to NOT do. Not gonna ship, regardless of outcome. Sorry.

Someone please offer me a hundred bucks. Just come and get! lol

Back