• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4P booting to seek error screen

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
As title says I am working on a Model 4p and the system boots up to the error message Seek Error. Tried different floppy disks no go. Have tried cleaning heads and lubricating rails for the head carriage. No help. Also the disk is spinning but I am not hearing the disk drive seek to track zero. I have never had a 4p and would like help solving the issue. Any advice would be appreciated.100_2610.JPG.

I don't think it is a disk or drive problem but something on the mainboard. Maybe bad FD controller? I did create some new boot disks but nothing

Ok found problem. It is the WD FD1793-PL floppy disk controller. Swapped with 1793 from my Model 4 and the 4p booted from floppy. So need to get a new chip.

Model 4 TRSDOS 6.2 that I did sucessfully boot on my Model 4 desktop. Now that disk is bad! wierd
a floppy may boot in one drive but not another.

Its always a good idea to try multiple floppies in multiple drives (when possible).

One computer heads may be slightly off or other reasons that keep them from reading same floppy across multiple drives.

Normally the drive that created it can most easily read same diskette.

But great thing is you found problem and a fix for it!

There's a model 4P technical manual for sale on ebay australia. 6:35:21 PM, Friday, July 15, 2022

Seller will separate.

Back