• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model A on ebay cheap

framer

Veteran Member
I was watching this terribly listed model "A" and it got NO bid @ $79

It's been relisted w/starting bid @ $79 but has make offer.

It's not listed as a Model A but just as a PC 5150.

If anyone wants it I'd make an offer and see if you can buy it at a firm cheap price.

I was so tempted but I got two Model A and don't need anymore.

Ebay listing for this Model A

good luck
framer

I bought it.
Don't tell the wife.

Probably be 2 months before it arrives here, but the last one in NZ sold for over double what I paid, so likely my only chance to ever have one in my collection.

I offered US100, they countered with US140, I don't like the back and forward, so I just paid the US140.
Shipping will cost more than the base unit, I just had it sent to my freight forwarder and I'll get the second part of the postage bill when it lands there. I didn't trust ebays Global Shipping Program with this.

My only concern is that Quadram board may have a Nicad battery. Fingers crossed.

Glad you got it. In a weak moment I might have tried to get it. I trying not to buy anymore except an occasional part that I'm missing like a 3 1/2 IBM floppy with a black 5 1/4 bezel for a 5162.

I love finding those items that are not described correctly.

framer

So now that it's November, NZ customs finally released it.
It was important that they taxed me to protect New Zealand's IBM PC market place.

To pay $80 tax I had to also pay $100 in processing fees.

On the bright side this thing is blowing my brains.
The Varta cell on the QuadRAM QuadBoard has not leaked.
Not a single tantalium has gone short circuit.
The original power supply works and has not been smoking any Rifa.

Now being that this is my precious, I've been testing each piece individually before running, but so far the only things I've actually had to do was replace the battery so it can remember the time, and remove some faulty RAM.
It's now a 256K system (was 448K when sent to me, but a LOT of the RAM chips had failed on the card) and running happy.

Things I noticed:
- Drive A has IBM Corp stickers inside, but no IBM logo outside
- Drive B has IBM logo outside and has chips dating mid-1983, so I suspect an upgrade, the QuadBoard chips are also dated around 1983.
- Motherboard RAM is 26th week 1982.
- Normal plastic speaker mount
- PSU is black with recessed nuts and red sticker (fan spins so quietly I didn't know it was running)

Honestly I was expecting this computer to be a black-screen-of-death drama. Very happy.

Well done, you! Already have a 5150, or I would be tempted. As it is the shipping even to here in Ohio was respectable. I hate to think what it cost you in NZ.

...And, no, I won't tell the wife. :)

So now that it's November, NZ customs finally released it.
It was important that they taxed me to protect New Zealand's IBM PC market place.

To pay $80 tax I had to also pay $100 in processing fees.

Don't you just love that? :sarcasm:

Our government recently did the same in Australia in order to protect the long suffering Vintage PC market by slugging GST on all imports. Previously you didn't have to pay anything on items below the $1,000 AUD threshold.

Anyway enough ranting, still a great buy considering what they go for down here these days. :D

Back