• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model I Expansion Interface replacement - seeking enclosure ideas

You and me too, Mike, but I have to consider the unwashed masses. Sooner or later they'll come around, but in the meantime they need something good enough to make a real difference.

Ya know, the spacing between the bottom sheet and the board looks like it might be high enough to screw a couple of those redesign Model I power supplies to the bottom sheet......

Once I get a MIRE I'll construct a similar contraption showing how you can install it, a FreHD, and redesigned PSU into one enclosure.

Since the spacing of the top and bottom Perspex sheets is determined by the length of the screws you could even install a doubler or RS232 on an RS EI PCB and still not have the monitor sitting too high. Simply by choosing longer screws

Rubber feet on the top of the enclosure in the appropriate places would prevent the old RCA monitor sliding back off the unit.

Ian.

Ian,

Not sure if Australia is the same but there are plenty of companies that make perspex stuff here in NZ and they are happy for very low cost to cut and drill offcuts to the dimensions you specify. Nothing that says you have to do a conservative grey like mine either.

Also you could replace my ugly square nuts with hollow tube spacers that sit around the screws. It would look a bit tidier than my "Mitre 10 special" (for those not in New Zealand or Australia, Mitre10 is a big hardware chain that sells the packs of screws and nuts that I used). If you drilled the holes correctly angled you could tilt the top to provide a better viewing angle for the monitor.

JAQ

Have you considered MDF? Easy to work with a scroll-saw, sands beautifully, comes in a variety of thicknesses, laminates well for reinforcement, and paint/finish adheres to it great. I know most people building arcade replica cabinets swear by it. (when not swearing at it)

... and if worried about something sliding around atop it, spray adhesive and a sheet of rubber can work wonders.

Back