• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model M keyboards

vq304

Why is it that IBM made two silver label models, the 1390120 (no status LEDs) and 1390131 (status LEDs)?

Was the 1390120 simply a cheaper version for people who didn't require the LEDs, or was there another reason? Which model out of these two is considered more desirable? I'm planning on 'upgrading' from my 1989 white label, so want to know which I should look for :wink:

Thanks

I like the 1390120. I use it on a PCjr.

You can run them on a PC or XT. PCs and XTs don't control the status lights, so a keyboard with status lights is useless.

This keyboard doesn't have the status lights because it was meant for a later model XT that had the BIOS for an extended keyboard, but no need for the lights.

Mike

mbbrutman said:
You can run them on a PC or XT. PCs and XTs don't control the status lights, so a keyboard with status lights is useless.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I always thought that the Model F was the only keyboard IBM used on XT's, didn't know that some Model M's could be used too.

I'll probably have to look for a 1390120 then, thanks.

I'm guessing that a silver label would be worth quite a bit more than a white label?

Terry- I didn't even realise that there was such thing as a silver label WITH status lights until recently, I thought that it was a mistake when I first saw one ;)

Back