• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modem for Mac Color Classic

maxfli

Experienced Member
Is it possible to connect a modem to a Mac Color Classic? I found an Apple Macintosh Data Modem 2400, will this work?

yeah if not i think i may have one i can send you for the cost of shipping.. depending on where on esrth you sre that is. I can include the correct cable too.

I have the modem and it is for a geo port. My Mac Color Classic dose not have the Geo port, it has a modem port. The difference is that one pin has been added for the geo port, is that pin needed? Can I snip that pin off?

I have the modem and it is for a geo port. My Mac Color Classic dose not have the Geo port, it has a modem port. The difference is that one pin has been added for the geo port, is that pin needed? Can I snip that pin off?
Google is (sometimes) your friend.

I take it you need that pin to run the power to the device. So its not compatible with the mini-din 8?

It's not compatible. Just get a din8 to db25 cable and pair that with a generic external modem, though I don't quite understand why an analog modem is still being employed.

MiniDIN-8 to DB9 or DB25, then find any serial modem you can get your hands on.
Supra was pretty popular. US Robotics also has a long line of very good modems.
Sticking to the Apple branded modems you had the Apple Modem 300/1200, the Apple Personal Modem which I think was also 300/1200 the Apple Data and Fax modems and then I believe they let the third party market do it better until the GeoPort came out and flopped.

You can even go the whole hog if you want and get a WiModem232 or something along the same lines so you don't need to deal with telephone lines, unless you want to

Back