• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

modern computers speak, old computers talk BUT Vintage computers SCREAM !!!!!

inotarobot

Veteran Member
From recent years experience modern computers speak, old computers talk BUT Vintage computers SCREAM !

What makes me say this?

Well recently I was driving to a Railway station to get train, and as I approached one of the towns on the way there, I had this VERY strong sound in my mind saying "help me.. SAVE me!"

Was somewhat scary, but I dismissed it (as its not the first time I have experienced this sort of thing) and kept driving. Just past the town and before the open road again was a side road on the left. As I got close the words ''I'm here, come to me" were very very clear in my mind.

Stuff the train, I'll get the next one after all I thought, and turned left.

Down the side road 5km round to the right and I was at the gates of the local tip. I have been here many times before and they have an eWaste dump. After a discussion I was able to drive over to it as I had some eWaste in boot to dispose of. 98% of the time the eWaste here is modern junk not worth the trouble of coming regularly to look

Getting out of car I looked at the huge pile. Sorry did not take pic as the 'voice in my head' was now strong.

HUGE pile of modern junk this time.. monitors, printers, telephone bits, cameras and tower pcs along with a heap of broken laptops to look over. So I scanned the huge pile looking for the needle in this stack.

A cardboard box in corner caught my attention. Moved stuff to get to it and saw a group of 4 older looking pcb in box. MM this is whats calling me? Na I doubt it.

hpB2o7J.jpg

Mind you the labels on 2 eproms on one of the 4 boards peaked my curiosity .. being "Rabble Forth Kernel"
and ''RSE Forth Development ROM". CPU is a R6511AQ date code 8552

But then I noticed these boards were sitting on top of what appeared to be a box inside the box. So I lifted the loose PCB's out and saw

eFdGzaY.jpg

mm somebody has populated a prototype board and its connected to printer head. the remains of the small calculator the printer was out of lay in box.

again it was interesting but not what as was calling me as strongly..

So lifting this board of I find the inner box so to say

1Lpdb6k.jpg

NOW I feeling the 'Pull" that caused me to divert my journey.

N4eenNg.jpg

yes I open it..

Almost the "GRAIL" ..... :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I collect Motorola Development systems and as some here know my very first computer was a MEK6800D2 Kit I bought brand new back in the 1970's. (BTW still have it)

YES the diversion was worth it. SAVED it

wCTOTxU.jpg

fJPrn1s.jpg

and I have powered it up after a light clean and test with multimeter on a current limiting bench psu set at 5V

It powers up fine.. and I will do a post here in next few days on it

xcfFjBh.jpg

By the way as I was just about to get in car.. I felt a "mental tug", OK OK I turned and picked up an badly smashed older metal desktop. Not looked at it yet.

Last edited:
For those interested this tip has a "Recycled goods" Store that selected items from General rubbish Dump Pile, Steel Dump and eWaste get put in for resale.

The cost of items is pretty fair and I was one of the "Regulars" prior Covid-19 last year that dumped eWaste and often while there selected what I thought was worth saving and reselling for the Store.

I said to the Manager that I wished to buy this item and that it was quite rare. She asked me to put price on it which I did and she accepted, saying they likely would have just scrapped it as the staff have no real idea.

I am happy with the price I paid for it. Was not cheap but in my view being reasonable, open and honest in my dealing has long term benefits, as whom knows if a KIM or Altair 8800 may turn up there.

Nice find!

Those other boards look like they have Rockwell 6501Q processors?

Hi again Marty

Rockwell R6511Q not R6501Q

BTW

Its kind of funny, to me, how when I do a Post Title that has no actual mention of a Specific Brand or Processor etc.. it gets lot less view and way fewer comments often none.

I like to add my "humanness" and Aussie Humour to some of my post as its as much about each of us interacting with our hardware (and software) in our own way that give this Hobby its Life.
Otherwise its just a bunch of people discussing technology as part of their paid employment

Actually this post of mine is really in the wrong section and I should have put it in the Collection/Community area and under the General Vintage Computer Discussions.

I was going to continue it as a Motorola MEK6802D5 post but realize its better to do that as a separate post entirely.

I will as the MODERATOR to move this post for me to the Collection/Community area and under the General Vintage Computer Discussions.

Last edited:
Hello inotarobot, this is nevadaOZman. Noticed you collect Motorola systems... did you notice my post of 12/21/21 wherein I have a WORKING Motorola EXORset 35 (rare!) with discs and documentation for sale?

Back