• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modernized SuperPET Board

hexsane

Experienced Member
Would there be any interest in one of these? Since there are a limited number of SuperPET systems and OS/9 MMUs out there I would really like to get my hands on a modernized board for upgrading an 8032 to use OS/9. Anyone else?

Mike Naberezny and I discussed this privately. Its a good idea, but how much interest would there be in such a board. I think the multi-board superpet can be made to work. Some of the guys at the TPUG meetings seem to think so, but I'm not sure if the documentation still exists.
Steve

Is there anyone out there willing to modernize the SuperPET board and add the OS/9 MMU?

This is something I have been seriously wanting to play around with but I have the stacked SuperPET board set which doesn't appear to be compatible with the OS/9 MMU.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what all this means, but if it includes converting an 8032 PET into a SuperPet, count me in. What is OS/9? not MAC software I assume.
-Dave

There were 6809 add-on boards for the 8032. I sold two of those to Hexane a little more than a year ago. I gather he is looking to make additions or modifications to those add-on boards to support MMU in order to run the OS/9 operating system, traditionally run on 6809 computers but of which also there exists ports to newer CPUs and still is commercially supported to some degree.

Actually what I would like is a new board that replaces the add on board for the SuperPET. (A SuperPET is basically an 8032 with an option board (set)). Optionally a new MMU that works with both single board and stacked board SuperPETs would be good.

What I'm fishing for is others that would be interested in such a thing to get the ball rolling. :)

-Matt

In fact, with today's technology, it should be easy to re-implement such a board. One SRAM instead of the SuperPET's dRAM, a single large ROM IC, an ACIA, the 6702 dongle, probably not even drivers, and a single CPLD as logic glue. The only trick to think of is to switch the 6502's power off when the 6809 is active (as the 6502 has no BE signal - that is the reason the board wants 9V unregulated power, so it can generate a controlled 5V for the 6502)

Would probably even fit on a Euroboard (160x100mm)

André

In fact, with today's technology, it should be easy to re-implement such a board. One SRAM instead of the SuperPET's dRAM, a single large ROM IC, an ACIA, the 6702 dongle, probably not even drivers, and a single CPLD as logic glue. The only trick to think of is to switch the 6502's power off when the 6809 is active (as the 6502 has no BE signal - that is the reason the board wants 9V unregulated power, so it can generate a controlled 5V for the 6502)

Would probably even fit on a Euroboard (160x100mm)

André

Agree, for the most part. The 6702 dongle is no longer needed as the superpet languages software has been "fixed". Similar, I don't know if the 6551 ACIA is really needed as there was virually no software for it.

Steve

Agree, for the most part. The 6702 dongle is no longer needed as the superpet languages software has been "fixed".
Steve
I had a little trouble following all that on the hackers list; did they just patch the software or did they actually ultimately come up with a (theoretical) replacement for the 6702?

I had a little trouble following all that on the hackers list; did they just patch the software or did they actually ultimately come up with a (theoretical) replacement for the 6702?

The software is patched, so it no longer requires the 6702 chip. There is still an ongoing discussion of how the chip actually functions, but it's really academic at this point. As well, Mike Naberezny sent a 6702 chip to the people at Visual6502.org so that the chip can be de-capped, photographed, and modelled.

Steve

Back