• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

More colors on Win3.1

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
I know, I'm hooked on Windows 3.1 lately, but I want to get my system working perfectly. How do I get more colors on Windows 3.1? I'm looking for like a generic VGA or SVGA driver. I tried the one for WFW but it asks for a WFW disk, which I don't have.

I thought the generic drivers only allowed for 256 color modes max. If you want more colors, you need a driver specific to the video card. I know my old S3 card would do 24-bit color at decent resolutions.

I just got 256 colors working!!! That's as high as my video card can go, unfortunately :-( It is a lower-end card from the '95-'98 era, that has 3.1 drivers. huh.

I just got 256 colors working!!! That's as high as my video card can go, unfortunately :-( It is a lower-end card from the '95-'98 era, that has 3.1 drivers. huh.

I got a card that can do up to 1024*768 @ 256 colors in Windows 3.1x. However, not many monitors can handle the sync. rates of that resolution. I got one that's able to do it.

If you want good performance, try to get your hands on a high-end card from the early-middle '90s, like the ATI Mach32. I think that got driver-support for high-res graphics in Windows 3.1x, but you'll problably need the disk with the drivers in order to get that to work.

Back