• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

More Hardware Project Ideas

How about a Mono/CGA/EGA -> VGA adapter? A scan converter, there are a plenty out there that go from VGA -> DVI or composite -> VGA, but I have yet to see one that would take a vintage video signal and up it to VGA. Probably would not need to boast a large amount of up scaling, 800x600 would work I'd think.

Would something like this work? This seems to have been developed for the video game and slot machine market. From what I have read, they kept using CGA monitors long after they died out in the PC market.

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga/ega/yuv-to-vga-converter-pcb-gbs-8220/prod_291.html

Todd

How about USB floppy controller that supports a wide variety of 5.25" and 3.5" Drives.

This could allow someone to easily connect a 360k 5.25" drive to a modern machine.

How about USB floppy controller that supports a wide variety of 5.25" and 3.5" Drives.

This could allow someone to easily connect a 360k 5.25" drive to a modern machine.

Funny that you should ask that... (isn't it Andrew?) ;)

We're sketching out design details of one that combines USB with a Catweasel-type interface for a "just about handles anything implementation". We'll keep the list posted.

Chuck,

Let me know when you start offering preorders ;-) The obscurity and rarity/price of these items is becoming a real hassle. If I could just back up half the software/floppies I have it'd be great for me as well as the community in general (as software will again be acquirable and archived).

Chuck,

Let me know when you start offering preorders ;-) The obscurity and rarity/price of these items is becoming a real hassle. If I could just back up half the software/floppies I have it'd be great for me as well as the community in general (as software will again be acquirable and archived).

I started to get interested in this because some of my old customers wanted a version of the 2K/XP/Vista floppy driver we do for 32-bit Windows for 64bit Win7.

Having remotely current hardware helps in a project like this, so I went off looking for high-end name-brand (e.g. HP, Dell, etc.) x64 systems that still offer floppy support--and came up empty. Uh-oh. Yes--you can still get a motherboard with floppy support, but even those are starting to thin out--and most people today pick up pre-built name-brand systems. Not to mention that laptops/notebooks have been outselling desktops for at least the last year or so. We'll still do the driver, but I don't know how long it'll be before you can't run it on any new system.

Says I to Andrew (and myself), "It's about time we did something about this." So we're looking at some alternatives, but my sense is that it won't be too awful.

Funny that you should ask that... (isn't it Andrew?) ;)

We're sketching out design details of one that combines USB with a Catweasel-type interface for a "just about handles anything implementation". We'll keep the list posted.

Hi! Yes, that is interesting. The timing is amazing. :)

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I would also be interested in this. The only reason that I have a lame P3 in my computer shack for my archives, is because it can use 5.25 inch floppy drives. If I could read these floppies with more modern machines I'd ditch it in an instant!

Tez

Hi! Yes, that is interesting. The timing is amazing. :)

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Well it came from the fact that the latest ASUS board I just bought does not have a floppy connector at all so I was looking for an PCI floppy controller or a USB floppy controller.

Perhaps start a new thread to keep up updated?

Back