• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Most common emulation for CP/M programs?

And when i referred to the strange way the shell still tries to force vt100 - look at this. Also, i don't think these commands are vt100. I think they're some extension used for xterm because they have something to do with specifying the bracket paste method.
That's the same "garbage" I see when I switch my TERM to "vt52". Those are 'xterm' sequences, defined by some later model after vt100. It's not coming from my PS1 prompt, at least not directly. I didn't bother to track it down, but I suspect it is something narrow minded in the distro configuration.

Last edited:
Is the program you're creating a terminal emulation with built-in telnet connection support? Similar to Putty and many others? In that case, are you bending the telnet protocol to actually select the terminal emulation mode?

Found the source of the "garbage" at the shell prompt in vt52 mode. It is a bracketed paste mode "feature" (using the term sarcastically) in bash (at least). The sequences "ESC [ ? 2004 h" and "ESC [ ? 2004 l" are turning that on/off. This has been annoying me since my last Ubuntu upgrade, and now I found a way to fix that. In bash, the command
Code:
bind 'set enable-bracketed-paste off'
turns that off and eliminates the "garbage". I plan on propagating that to the .bashrc on every computer I use...

It's quite possible that your .bashrc or equivalent file is directly setting the prompt to include VT100 control codes. For example, my .bashrc contains the lines:
Code:
if [ "$color_prompt" = yes ]; then
    PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$ '
else
    PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$ '
fi
In my case that only happens for a terminal of type xterm-color, but your setup may be different.

OH is my face red! How did that not occur to me - thank you!

1674401876739.png

"Both Chrome and Firefox have dropped support for Gopher and FTP for years now,"

Funny--seems to me that FF quit supporting ftp only recently (mid-2021, with FF 90).

The lack of support for it in browsers now makes it a great choice for a secure service, since the support's gone from the mainstream. On intranet, both ftp and telnet definitely have their uses.

You are right, it was actually not too long ago in both cases.

Guess the last few years have screwed more with my sense of time than I'd like to admit.

Back