• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Moving files from Packard Bell 286 laptop to ThinkPad with Win 2k?

BGoins12

Experienced Member
Looks like I need a bit of help here. I just recently got a working Packard Bell PB286LP laptop off eBay. It works pretty good, however I can't figure out how to get files off of it and onto a more modern computer (ThinkPad 380Z). I have the parallel cable needed to connect the 2, and the laptop has LapLink Pro 4.0a installed on it. The ThinkPad has Windows 2000 installed on it. Any help is appreciated!

Looks like I need a bit of help here. I just recently got a working Packard Bell PB286LP laptop off eBay. It works pretty good, however I can't figure out how to get files off of it and onto a more modern computer (ThinkPad 380Z). I have the parallel cable needed to connect the 2, and the laptop has LapLink Pro 4.0a installed on it. The ThinkPad has Windows 2000 installed on it. Any help is appreciated!
Does the ThinkPad have a floppy drive?

Has anyone ever written a DCC client for DOS? Seems like a nice little project to communicate with 2K/XP (I think that MS removed it in Vista).

Laplink won't do parallel port connections between Win 2000 and non-NT based operating systems. See http://webprod.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=79 for an explanation.
Try a serial port connection. It will be half the speed of the parallel connection but a 286 laptop should have a tiny hard drive.
Total Commander claims to be able to do a parallel port connection between Windows 2000 and DOS systems. I have not tested it though. 30 day shareware license should suffice to copy files off. Just in case you don't have a serial cable.

I figured it out. Since I had to take it apart to replace the floppy drive, I just went ahead and hooked the drive up to one of my Windows 95 machines and copied the files over. Problem solved.

Now onto figure out what memory it takes.

I figured it out. Since I had to take it apart to replace the floppy drive, I just went ahead and hooked the drive up to one of my Windows 95 machines and copied the files over. Problem solved.
Glad you were able to sort that out, I find that moving the drive to a modern PC is sometimes the easiest method. Though once I setup my vintage rigs, I try to get them setup with ethernet, that way future file copy operations are fast and easy, ALL of my vintage PCs have drives mapped to my NAS array.

Now onto figure out what memory it takes.

I am not familiar with that exact laptop, but late 80's/early 90's, there wasn't much for RAM "Standards" in laptops. You might luck out and it could be standard DIP-chips or 30-pin SIPP/SIMM modules, but its much more likely some proprietary module. It wasn't till well into the Pentium, and almost Pentium II era that the SO-DIMMS were standardized upon.

Back