• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MS Client refuses to install

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Well this one has me really baffled! So what else is new? :rolleyes:

I am trying to reinstall MS Client 3.0 on the STEP Megacube. I have successfully installed Client previously on this system. However, when I try to install it now it acts strangely. For one thing it no longer find drivers on the driver disk. It gives an error saying there are no drivers. I have tried installing from floppies, from the HDD, I've put the drivers on a floppy, on a HDD, etc. etc. w/ no luck. Interestingly enough when I copy the same files to a VM machine everything works fine.

I even tried installing the wrong adapter so I could switch it out afterwards but Client refuses to install saying it can't copy Stack.

I get the same results even w/ a clean boot of DOS 6.22. The only changes I have made to the system is upgrading the video card from one EISA card to another and invoking the BIOS on the CompatiCard IV. I've already tried disabling the BIOS on the CCIV and it made no difference. So before I open up the system can a video card do this? I know anything is possible but has anyone experienced this sort of misbehaving just because of a video card? Thanks.

Assuming you're referring to MS Network client my only guess it to review your upper memory configuration. It seems to me the ms client was often an adventure to get installed due to it's memory requirements, maybe the new video ate up some more extended memory than the old board and pushed the ms client "over the edge" (so to speak).

Strictly a guess, I haven't installed dos networking in many years.

Thanks for the reply. I run into the same problem w/ a clean boot disk as well. Note that I am still trying to install (not actually fit everything into memory). However, I will try clean boot w/ just a memory manager and see what happens.

Well, tried it again w/ a memory manager loaded and no changes. Unless someone has other ideas I am going to change the video card back and see if the problem goes away... After that I am really out of ideas as there should be no reason for it not working.

I run MSLANMAN on a V20 with a CCIV installed, so I don't think that's your issue.

Have you tried the LANMAN packge instead of just the client? I've had trouble occasionally with the client, but could get the LAN manager working just fine.

Last edited:
I run MSLANMAN on a V20 with a CCIV installed, so I don't think that's your issue.

Chuck,

I am in agreement w/ you on that. I had the CCIV in the system before and Client installed fine and I've tried turning off the BIOS on the CCIV and I sitll ave the problem. The only other change is the video card. So I am going to try that and see if that helps.

Have you tried the LANMAN packge instead of just the client? I've had trouble occasionally with the client, but could get the LAN manager working just fine.

I have not. I was considering it myself but I wanted to try and get client going do to the smaller memory foot print. However, if I must I will. The issue for me is that Client installed fine on this machine previously so I have no idea why it is acting so wonky...

Well MSLANMAN installed w/o hitch. It found the drivers right off the bat on the driver disk. Of course it doesn't work but that I suspect is mostly due to all the mangled WfW and client installs currently on the HDD. So why is client acting wonky and refusing to install? One other option I have is to do a clean format and install client on a clean HDD.

Why not just delete all of the drivers and config.sys/autoexec.bat network entries and try again?

I tried that already by renaming my windows install directory, getting rid of the c:\net directory, and erasing any line pertinent to MSCLIENT. Still no luck. I've also done a clean boot and tried to install and it fails. I am thinking (grasping at straws) that MSCLIENT is finding a file in the HDD that sets off alarm bells and tells it not to install, but instead of having an intelligent error message it is just being a PITA. I don't have much on the system anyhow as I am still testing out different configs as far as SW. So formatting is no big deal....

It is fixed. I formatted and tried reinstalling and it worked like a charm the first time out of the gate. Of course now this begs the question what the hell was causing the issues. W/ my shot gun approach I have no way of isolating the problem but then on the other hand I wasted a week trying to get it to work so...

Back