• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MS-DOS 6.22 on 360k

12 disks in each set. I'll see if there is anything on them to make an image of. I hope that ebay seller's garage has heat and AC, otherwise those disks aren't going to be worth much.

Actually, I found some diskettes that have been in my garage since 2003. No heat or AC. To my surprise, most of them are fine.

Anybody know what the "enhanced tools" are?

AFAIK there where two OEM versions of MS-DOS 6.0:

* MS-DOS 6.00 plus Enhanced Tools. This is the full version with all the tools that are included in the Upgrade (retail) version.

* MS-DOS 6.00 Base. This is a reduced version for cost-conscious OEMs. The (non original) copy I have consists of two 3.5 1.44 diskettes.

What you DON'T get in this version
- MS Antivirus
- MS Backup. It comes with BACKUP instead.
- Doublespace
- DOSSHELL
- MSCDEX
- None of the windows utilities

What you DO get in this version
- MS Defrag
- Memmaker
- UNDELETE (DOS version only)
- MS-DOS boot enhancements (F5/F8, CONFIG.SYS Menus, MOVE command)

IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM are different. IO.SYS does not preload DBLSPACE.BIN even if it's present. HELP has entries for the missing utils explaining that you should contact your software vendor to get the Upgrade (I suppose they refer to the retail package). Another difference is the timestamp of the files in the distribution disks which is 5.0 instead of 6.0 (I suppose this is to better differenciate the two versions).

In retrospective this "Base" version makes more sense than the "Enhanced Tools" one. MSAV and MSBACKUP are nothing to write home about and Doublespace ... Well you should be grateful to your OEM to not had included that horror ...

There was a card in the retail box that you could send in and get 1.2M or 360K disks. I should have a set around here somewhere.

edit: I have the 6.0 upgrade and the 6.2 upgrade on 360K disks, but not the 6.22 step-up. Unless it's in a different box.

Did anyone ever find these and make images? I I know I bought DOS 6.22 at Walmart when it was new and it was on 3.5" floppies and sent in the card to get the 13 360k floppies. I need to check with my mother and see if they are in a closet somewhere at her house.

Back