• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Multibus open hardware?

Dwight, I just found the Multibus Specification circa 1981/1983 on Bitsavers. I think VHDL code for the arbitor would be pretty straight forward. We would need to find someone with a Multibus sytem willing to test a breadboard, or we could trust synthesis and simulation until real hardware is available. I'd like to code the arbiter and maybe do the breadboard, but I don't have a Multibus backplane or system for test.
-Ken

Last edited:
I ran across a few printed scans of Intel Multibus schematics.

iSBC 80/10-8102A-4 (drawing # 1000949 Rev F)
Logic Diagram - Backpanel, BLC 606 (drawing # 870305380 Rev C)
Printed Wiring Assy, Communications Expansion Board (drawing # 1001197 Rev F)

Not sure if those have turned up already. But if there is interest, I will scan them in this week.

there is a lot already on bitsavers

Hi
Please send me a PM if you are interested in helping out with this project (designing and building the demonstrator board from AP-28A). I am looking for other designers, reviewers, and potential sponsors. Everything will be open hardware and publicly posted but I am hesitant to do it at this early stage. Once we have something we know works I will post. Thanks, Andrew Lynch

Intel Application Note AP-28A

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...WUtMmE2My00YjQwLWJiYjEtNDI4MDk1MDExYzZi&hl=en

Last edited:
Hi
There seem to be limited resources on the internet for Multibus related items. Here are some of the URLs I've found so far

Intel MDS Google Group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/intel-mds

Bill Beech's Multibus pages on his website http://www.nj7p.org/Computers/computers.html

Joe's Multibus website http://www.classiccmp.org/hp/multibus/multibus.html

Vintage Intel website http://www.intel-vintage.info/

If you are interested in Multibus and not already a member I recommend joining up. Anyone know of any other good links?

Current state of Multibus Dual PPI board project. Its a huge ~78 square inches board for 18 chips but that's not the point...

Assuming we get past build and test of the Multibus Dual PPI board successfully, what sort of open hardware Multibus boards would be the most useful?

Simple slave IO boards make the most sense to start with and grow into other more complex designs. Along those lines, a prototyping board, a dual serial/parallel printer port board, IDE, FDC, SCSI-1, RTC, and possibly an integrated console (propeller text display, keyboard, mouse) or some combination. A simple SRAM and/or Flash ROM board is probably doable too.

We should hold off on processor boards until there is experience with the IO and memory boards first.

Last edited:
They don't do FPGA

Eric Smith just went through the exercise within the past year of designing a Multibus arbiter, we'll see if he posts here.
There apparently are some non-obvious things the Intel part does.

Hi Al, is Eric aware of the discussion? Maybe send him a link

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?57845-Multibus-open-hardware

I've got a open hardware Multibus I board template that's being reviewed right now which could serve as a platform. It would be good to flush out whatever interest there is in Multibus and see if its enough for a quorum to build new Multibus projects.

Andrew Lynch posted:
> There seem to be limited resources on the internet for Multibus related items.
> Here are some of the URLs I've found so far..

I'm afraid to report that, in my opinion, Andrew Lynch has not completely represented an important
amount of activity regarding vintage Multibus - specifically, the re-establishment
and publishing of Intel development system software and hardware; in source
and documents, in files, in disk images; as performed by restored Intel development
system hardware. Nor has he given background about Multibus history as an industrial
and develoment architecture - he addresses it in the context of vintage computing
which usually addresses personal computers of much more common experience.

He claims he's looked at "the landscape". I disagree.

Therefore: I'm obliged to explain, because I was a small part of the substantial effort
he ignores. In my explanation, I'm providing context for that larger landscape, which Andrew
seems to be looking for. My apologies for a busy and long post - I am writing in
response in real time, not publishing a "call to arms" or "the history of Multibus
restoration in the 21st century". I've got other things goin' on....

Point one. This is not about "making new cards". This is, making old hardware, and software, WORK.
Andrew's interest in making new cards - that's his call. But when he suggests there's
some lack of Multibus interest or activity - that's MY call to dispute.

Andrew fails to mention, a Web site which is recently offline: Richard Main's
www.isis-mds.com. I have no information, on why, please don't speculate. Richard provided
a substantial amount of Intel ISIS operating system and tools on his site. I'll explain that.

Andrew also fails to mention, my own Web domain "retrotechnology.com", which (says Google search) has 67
Web pages which mention "Multibus". Those pages point to sites Andrew mentions, and some
he does not. I haven't added details of recent activity: pardon me for being behind and busy,
and just watching my friends work far above MY pay-grade on Multibus! But a Web search like
"multibus site:retrotechnology.com" will point you to a bunch of Multibus activity and stuff.

Regarding my site: for decades, I've "covered" Multibus on retrotechnology.com.
I've provided some history, lists of manuals and disks which I had at one time. I've
restored Multibus systems, some with help from others or I've helped others. A collection
of disks which I sold a decade ago; were imaged years ago; and then the images (and some of the disks) were
rerun on actual Multibus hardware to recreate AND OPERATE the original Intel software.
Al Kossow's bitsavers.org was part of this "deal", as an archive site of disk images and
documents; as well as other Web site. A Google search will find most of those site-archives.

And of course - there's Ebay. There's Multibus cards and systems on ebay, all the time. I
monitor those myself, see my Web site. Also; There's a few companies who STILL support
Multibus systems - in use NOW! Doing real work NOW! Rights to Intel's Multibus,
were sold to one of those support companies (see my Web site),
in business NOW to repair and replace, even reproduce Intel cards. Today!

Now, Andrew was in touch with me, and Richard Main, and
others, to discuss his plans. so I don't understand his under-reportage. Perhaps
Andrew expected some organized activity from "us", with a leader,and some "group" Web page;
and enthusiasm for "new" cards. Those were not the case. Note: I only speak for Herb Johnson,
not for anyone else. But I'm obliged to write, to represent the activity of those other people
and I, when it's not properly described.

What's so special about Herb Johnson? Well, not much. I'm one of a number of people who years ago,
accumulated Multibus hardware or software or manuals, when they were simply "out of favor" among
hobbyists. Not too many sites even kept track of Multibus history, or of interest in restoring
systems. and my Web pages are here now, while others have come and gone.

In the last several years, some sites have appeared which cover Intel history, including Intel
development-system history. And more persons have described their Multibus interests.

What's "new"? In the last few years, several people have, under common discussion, restored sets
of Intel Multibus development systems; restored and offered freely sets of Intel
development software. But there's more. They even *disassembled* - to assembly source
and *PL/M* source - large amounts of Intel binaries. They've recreated source not available!
And they've gathered manuals, recreated specifications, made new tools. Bill Beech, worked
hard to establish how Intel binary and linkage formats worked. He restored old Intel software
tools, created new tools; these are on his Web site. Mark Ogden, Mark Fischer, others - they
too are reworking or restoring Intel software tools. Others are restoring Intel or other-brand
Multibus hardware systems. All running ISIS, Intel's development system OS.

Richard Main, restored several Multibus systems. That's absolutely critical. Why? Because Intel
used a low-level disk format called either "M2FM" or "MMFM" for double-density disks. That is
unreadable - repeat, *unreadable* - by any Western Digital, Intel, or other "LSI" type floppy
disk controller chipset. Only scarce hardware tools like "Catweasel" could even image such
disks. Few Catweasel owners, or Mutibus owners, were interested in BOTH. That was a bottleneck.
Richard broke the bottleneck, recovered the files from the images and disks, made them available
on the Web.

Pause for perspective here. These 1970's and 80's (mostly) Intel Multibus systems are not simple "personal
computers" of the same era. Programming isn't a matter of writing one program, assembly, and it
runs all by itself. These are industrial-class systems, linkers, interrupts, multi-tasking. Multiple
compilers, some unfamiliar like PL/M. And their applications were industrial control systems - not
Tetris. This is hard, hard stuff - minicomputer and mainframe-class, factory-floor. There's not as
many people who worked on THESE, than even on S-100 stuff - much less, the millions who played and/or
programmed on mass-produced personal computers a decade or two later. and I explained the
M2MF bottleneck.

So what happened lately? More Multibus cards and systems available on ebay, or through Richard or others.
disk-image and file-sets of Intel programs available en mass on the Web. Active (re)development
of Intel tools, by programmers from the era, with serious experience in understanding hardware
and software, and complex development tools.

And it's a matter of circumstances, for people of the era, reaching their 50's and 60's and older - who
apparently have both time AND interest AND good-health. The various reasons people in those
circumstances, decide to go back to their "old" work; or other people decide "this stuff is interesting,
let's see what I can do with it". In that regard, they are like many other vintage-computing persons, who
work on the (mostly) personal computers that most in this list are familiar with.

--------------------------

I'm sorry this is a long post - but Andrew has not represented ANY of this background. He suggests by
absence of new cards and centralized activity, that Multibus should "equal" the S-100 and (his version of) ECB organized

activities he was a part of. Does he confuse quantity with quality? And because he doesn't see people
making NEW Multibus cards, he thinks that's an indicator of disinterest. Facts are, he ignores the complexity
of use of Multibus *systems*; its history in industrial use, not personal-computing use; and the important work of
several people who self-cordinate but aren't as "organized" as he might like to be himself.

If his goals are simpler - make Multibus cards to learn Multibus - that's fine. But don't suggest that's gonna be the
new center of vintage Multibus interests! This is my (ad hoc) read of the larger view, of current Multibus interests.

Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com

And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, for "the rest of the story"

It's not that I am unaware of the above, its that I am under no obligation to advertise the website or services of the above COMMERCIAL DEALER in used computer goods.

I can understand why they'd not be happy with someone offering to provide hobbyists or the vintage computer community the tools to make their own open hardware Multibus boards. Were such a move were successful the market in used Multibus boards might just drop precipitously.

Since there is little competition in Multibus boards, dealers selling used components have quite a lucrative "sellers market" and I am sure they'd like to keep it that way. Anyone offering free DIY tools is potential competition or represents a threat to their business.

So please don't take the above commentary as some impartial unbiased observation. There is a reason for it and you can figure it out on your own by visiting the COMMERCIAL DEALER's website referenced above.

Hi
One of the benefits of open hardware Multibus is once you make the first board you can reuse the components and it gets much easier to make other boards. For instance, one utility board people seem to be looking for is a Multibus bus extender. Building it would be almost trivial now that the part libraries and footprints exist.

The P1 and P2 card edge connectors exist and can be purchased from Digikey or other vendors. Its just a matter of selecting the right part number from the datasheets from Sullins connectors.

If anyone is interested in a run of Multibus bus extenders I think these would be relatively inexpensive and cheap enough to have multiple boards like one for each system with spares on hand. No more swapping around boards from one system to the next.

View attachment 38844

and prototyping boards are easy too

View attachment 38847

Last edited:
Hi
If anyone is interested in working on or building open hardware Multibus boards please post here, send me a PM or contact me on retrobrewcomputers.org forums.

Thanks, Andrew Lynch

I'm not interested in a flame war with Andrew Lynch. I deliberately delayed any response, and I see no interest in the content of his reply. So my response is simple: I deny everything he says in reply to my post; his characterizations are old cliches. He confuses a lack of interest from those he contacted, into some evil conspiracy. And, my record of vintage computing activities stands on its merits. I recognize that most people aren't interested in personal and inflammatory exchanges; I'm sorry for these circumstances.

The reasons I posted are, to correct a suggestion of lack of activity in Multibus; by describing those activities and good persons, which Andrew had contacted prior. I'm rightfully proud of the recent efforts of others; Andrew has expressed his opinion of them. As for my decades of vintage computing activity, they speak for themselves, on their merits.

Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com

Back