• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Musical Types

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Just out of Curiosity, I was just wonderning what does everyone here generally listen to with regards towards the type of music?

Also, Does anyone listen to anything which hasn't got any Rock influences - by this I guess you could say pre-Rock 50 years ago? (Perhaps Not).

Rock in itself has become diverse, within it are so many catagories of the main styles, Rock 'n Roll, Pop, Rock, Metal, Disco/Rap, that even so many of those have their own groups in style.

I think it'd be interesting to see what everyone listens to and let us know (if you can) what you may listen to most of all - as well as listing what else could fit in!

Cheers,
CP/M User.

most of my listening is classical music, especially late 19th century early 20th.

i also listen to i guess what you could call experimental music.

i also love Soukous, as that style of guitar just blows my mind.

once in a blue moon i will tune into the local uni. station, to hear what's up on the indie scene.

i try to avoid commerical music like the plague, and as a result i have no cluse whatsover of any current bands and that.

chris

current likes...

current likes...

sorting my iTunes my play count, at the top I see:

Great Big Sea, Ashley MacIsaac, die ärzte, The Russian Futurists, The Sex Pistols and Charlie Christian.

Charlie Christian would count as your pre 50s, non rock...and Ashley MacIsaac, sometimes.

Among the many other genres that I listen to, I like early Blues recordings, from the '20s & '30s, and Big Band/Swing from the '30s & '40s. I also like some older Ragtime stuff from around that same period, and oh yes, let us not forget, Jazz.

--T

Typically I just listen to 80's Rock like The Police, Van-Halen, Metallica, ZZ Top, Journey, Rush, Loverboy, Rhoads era Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, as well as some 90's alternative early grungeish stuff like Nirvana, Bush, old old old Green Day, and Pearl Jam, and the Foo Fighters. But I also listen to lots of wacko experimental electronic music like Nintendo NSF files and old self-programmed midi's, I also make my own music using my computer and a multi-track recorder program, sort of a rock meets NES music sort of thing I have going on.

I also make my own music using my computer and a multi-track recorder program, sort of a rock meets NES music sort of thing I have going on.

you might want to check this guy's site out:

http://firteen.com/

he is a fellow vic 20 user, and i think you and him have much in common.

chris

Looks like I go along with Mad-Mike.

My collection is mostly Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, U2 et al.

I'm not immune to newer stuff, either, like Muse, Era and Enigma.

I mostly play classic rock ('60s, 70s, 80, 90s), but when in the right mood, I'm liable to play just about anything...(ever heard 16th-century French chamber music?)...

--T

It's funny that Pink Floyd should get a mention. A mate of mine was playing Eclipse rift(?) from the Dark Side of the Moon album & telling me how it has some sort of musical significance (which dated back from one of the composers). But as he was telling me, this idea came from The Beatles Abbey Road Album in which one of the tracks had a rift - believed to have been done to modernise some composition.

I'm more a Yardbirds fan myself, but their circumstances to disband while on tour left Jimmy Page with the Groups Name & in which he had some gigs to fulfil in Scandinavia, he quickly got a band together & performed as the New Yardbirds. This group would transform into Led Zeppelin - but I reckon it would be interesting to get a copy of that Scandinavian tour (Like they call it The New Yardbirds tour). Quite strange what happened to them (Yardbirds) though, since they were producing some interesting stuff as late as 1968.

> ever heard 16th-century French chamber music?

Is it anything like Harpers Bizarre?

Their like these 5 guys which sing in a chapel that I think had a hit with the Paul Simon song "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" & "Chattanooga Choo Choo". They perform a few Randy Newman songs (do you know him?). Guess if you heard the Theme song to the 2nd Season of Monk, you'd know Randy Newman.

CP/M User.

yep

yep

True that, lots of Led Zeppelin and Yardbirds in my list these days as well.

....and Robert Johnson of course. ;)

Actually, French chamber music was spun-off into french folk music, which was imported to America via Canadia, and evolved into Cajun (Accadian, from the Accadia area of Canadia they migrated from), and in particular, Zydeco music, which is where my interest in it began, tracing it's roots back into the 16th century.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Actually, French chamber music was spun-off into french folk music,
> which was imported to America via Canadia, and evolved into Cajun
> (Accadian, from the Accadia area of Canadia they migrated from), and
> in particular, Zydeco music, which is where my interest in it began,
> tracing it's roots back into the 16th century.

Strange then that my Pete Seeger doesn't have samples of this French Folk Music, might of been too much to fit them all onto some Vinyl, he does some folk tunes from Israel (Road To Eliat), Germany (Gendanken Sind Frei), Korea (A-Ri-Rang), Irish (Kisses Sweeter than Whine), Scottish (I think Paddy Works On the Railroad is Scottish), Africa (Bayeza - A song with many parts flowing with it) - he does this Whailing Song demonstrating how they sang it in the West Indies & how they Sang it in America (which is quite interesting). Course he didn't get any Australian Folk stuff in either.

CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> I just googled "French Folk Music" and there's lots of hits, including MP-3
> d/l sites, if ya wanna hear some for yourself...

'Fraid I won't be able to do this from home (my Computer's a bit slow at MP-3s), though the machines at school should be able to do this! Thanks!
:))

> Oh yeah, Glen Miller's -In the Mood- is on my top-ten all-time favorites
> list (which usually seems to contain more than ten selections).

Yes I love that song myself, sadily I only know about it since it was a big hit in it's day, but never-the-less I love it down to the cow bell! I personally think it's a timeless song. Sad to see Glen Miller go so early though! :-(

CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
I personally think it's a timeless song. Sad to see Glen Miller go so early though! :-(

Yeah, I think GM's band was the equivalent of today's Rock bands...I'm sure he trashed a few hotel rooms in his day...(I mean, he even wrote a song about thier phone number)...

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Yeah, I think GM's band was the equivalent of today's Rock bands...I'm
> sure he trashed a few hotel rooms in his day...(I mean, he even wrote a
> song about thier phone number)...

Do you think Glen Miller could have been bigger than "The Beatles" if he was around for much longer?
I guess not since the Rock scene was always going to happen. Though Folk seemed to squeeze it's way into the Rock era and I guess you could say that a little bit of Jazz did as well (if that's what you could put "Chicago" & "Blood, Sweat & Tears" into!).

CP/M User.

Back