• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 1972 Intel 8008 "Mystery Computer"

I finally made a video and posted on YouTube of my early Intel micro with the 8008 CPU. My research shows that this might have built as early as the summer of 1972. I wished I knew who built it and the purpose of the computer. It obviously could not do much but sure looks great--a good example of "all show and no go!" The video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6goCIWCYY

If you recognize this computer, please let me know!

Bill,

Thanks for the compliment. I agree and might add that the video does not do the computer justice. There is an unbelievable amount of work put into the design and construction of the case for this system. A former Honeywell employee once told me that it looked like something Honeywell would design. When they did the famous Kitchen Computer in the 1960's, it was red and he said they used red plastics in the design phase. Perhaps Honeywell did this one--wish I knew!

Craig

Training or trade exhibition piece perhaps? It does look quite fantastic.

Craig, nice video mate :)

Over the past few months I have been collection data on Intel lot numbers that they used on most of their chips
From that info your SIM4 board would have likely been assembled late 2nd Quarter 1972
as the newest chip attached to the board was made week 23 1972

Back