• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 2nd Attempt at Retr0Briting

olePigeon

Veteran Member
Sort of crossposting from 68k MLA, but I know you guys like to see before & after pictures of Retr0Brited equipment. I had initially tried the gel/creme approach, but it ended up with horribly uneven results. Bleached splotches. Looked terrible. I even used a foam paint brush for even application with regular spritzes of water, still a disaster.

So I then bought a clear plastic tub and filled it with 4 bottles of 32oz 3% H2O2 & water (mostly water... heh.) No exact measurements. And these are my results:

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
c01.jpg
c02.jpg

I have more stuff bathing at the moment. Fixing up bunch of SEs and SE/30s, recapping them, installing SCSI2SD cards in them, ethernet cards, etc.

So really you didn't retrobrite, you bleached with Peroxide....

Since you used a gentle peroxide, I wonder how it affected the plastic. Can you see if you have any hairline cracking around the corners? Do you have access to a microscope? Wish you would have checked for the cracks before and after.

I personally am not happy with what Retr0brite does to the structure of the plastic

Cheers,
Corey

Isn't Retr0Brite just Peroxide + Oxy booster (and maybe some type of gelling stuff if you want to coat)? I didn't use an oxy booster. It's a slow soak while I'm at work with low percentage peroxide. Didn't want to start any fires or anything. I've read that the chemical reaction can become very hot.

I do have access to some microscopes at work, including USB ones that hook up to a computer. I could bring one in and take a closer look at the plastic. However, I haven't noticed any cracks.

I did have one face plate break when the computer was shipped. I don't know how much that had to do with the H2O2.

Back