• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my 486 webserver

linuxlove

Veteran Member
hmm... well, after cracking the screen on my thinkpad, until i can get a new screen, it is currently serving as an HTTPd and an IRCd. since, it IS a 486 and there is no floppy drive, i'm stuck using Wind0ze 95, so, here are the server apps:

HTTPd: Apache 1.3.1
IRCd: irc 2.9.5

anyone know of any better server apps? also if you want to check it out, see here:

http: http://genericnet.ath.cx:487/
irc: genericnet.ath.cx:486

That's pretty neat! Also I had heard of those orinoco wireless cards, never got my hands one one, though. Are you ever going to do FTP on your server?

probibly not. first, there's only a 340MB hard drive in there (and that's as big as i can have in the thinkpad). second, we are on 768K DSL, and only around 90KBPs gets to my room.

Ah, I see now. 340MB isn't a lot of space, so I guess FTP would be impractical.

Whenever I can find the ethernet card for a certain machine here I plan on doing much the same thing, run a webserver but also do some basic routing and other little things. Maybe host a webpage.

What kind of wireless card is that?
I've got my 486 running on wireless, but that has PCI slots.
I'm using a D-Link 520 card (G)

The orinoco chipset was just (the?/one of) first to be used as a proof of concept for wireless sniffing, from there since the driver and hardware was already modifiable from the release of that crack (it was said you couldn't sniff wireless traffic) everyone ran out and bought one to start driving around and cracking wifi networks.

I wanted one but it was out of my toy price range, especially just for something to get in trouble with at the time.

AHHHH!!! RICK ROLLED!!!!

Srsly though, good work. I've never seen anything like that before. I'm suprised it doesn't run in DamnSmall or Debian or Ubuntu or something though.

I'm suprised it doesn't run in DamnSmall or Debian or Ubuntu or something though.
I'm just suprised that you're not running Linux on that thing...

well, i WOULD be if both things would work:

the floppy drive (it borked and so i have to get a new one)
and file permissions. I think i'd also need more ram than 8MB to run linux in.

Rickrolling? I didn't put any rickrolling in... ;):rolleyes:

Apparently Ubuntu requires a minimum of 32Meg to install. That doesn't mean it will not run on less. The install process is usually the stumbling block. However, this site claims an 8Meg install of Slackware on a 75Mhz laptop.

I don't have any experience with NetBSD but I believe it fundamentally uses less memory than Linux. Is there a How-To on installing it with (really) low ram? I've heard it talked about but haven't come across a success story.

In looking around, I just found this: "BasicLinux is designed specifically for old PCs. It uses a small kernel and busybox to provide a low-RAM Linux, capable of browsing the web, doing email, and functioning as an X terminal." The (boot from) DOS version comes as a 2.8mb zip file and minimum requirements are a 386 with 3mb RAM. Looks like fun. :)

interesting. so i can just download and, in DOS mode, just give DOS the command to start linux and it'll run?
now, if it doesn't support ORiNOCO wi-fi cards, then i can't use this.

486's make awesome awesome awesome web servers as long as you're not serving up dynamic content like PHP. heck, so does a 386 - i've done it. that sucker was instant.

Sorry linuxlove, I missed your post earlier. :) Yes, like Mike says, running Linux. I don't know about this device, but in some cases you can't tell the chip by looking at it as the info is hidden in the firmware. For pci and usb devices just typing "lspci" or "lsusb", whichever is appropiate, will give you info. However those commands are maybe not available on a minimal setup so just google the model number and add "linux" to the search. That will likely tell you more than you need to know. :)

Back