• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 99/4a works!

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I bought this thing a while back in another thread and finally got a power supply for it today from an ebay seller. And it works!

So... now what?

Does anyone have any carts they'd like to trade off or sell? I was thinking of getting one of those memory card adapters but I dunno yet. Now that I am getting to build a rack I might set it up permanently.

Are there any out-of-the-ordinary setups I can use this thing for? Packet radio, server terminal, other odd uses? Does this thing have *all* proprietary hardware that I will have to hunt after? I'm not really up to doing that. How about a ram expansion or something simple?? Cool carts??

Nathan

I know I've got a box full of 99/4a disks and carts around here somewhere. There may be dups in there, but I'm honestly really unlikely to find the set for some time. . . my garage is packed and my to-do list is ugly! :D

There were some fun games on the machine, though. Especially if you have the voice module.

I found a place, http://pw2.netcom.com/~mjmw/yardsale.htm, that says that they have all that stuff ion stock, now. It's all pretty cheaply priced, too.

I have discovered a small problem, probably nothing. As I was running through a few basic commands, I noticed that some of the characters were coming up multiple times, like three 't's on the end of INPUT or lots of 's's. I'm going to open it up and clean the keyboard real good, and hope that's all it is and not a memory problem.

Put in time at the Discovery shop and fully tested the CC40 and it works great. Also scored a 286 throwout that has an MFM hdd in it. IF it works, it may help me with the data recovery from the HDD of the XT clone.

How about an RS232 module for that TI? I like to hook things up together.

Nathan

You can often find individual items for the expansion port, including memory expansion, disk drives, parallel ports, etc., but if you REALLY want to use the 99/4a fully, you should consider ponying up for a complete Peripheral Expansion Box (PEB). The thing is huge and metal, but if it's fully populated you get one or two disk drives (mine has two), 32K memory expansion, serial port, additional slots, etc., all for around $100.

I have extra cartridges and stuff for the TI. It's par for the course as there are a LOT of loose cartridges out there. I do have the compact flash adapter/parallel port, but have yet to try it. I've really only put the standard system through its paces and used the PEB to load up some stuff. I have tons of tapes and disks too.

By the way, that link you provided is pretty good, but you can get better prices on eBay if you don't mind using that. There is no shortage of TI stuff out there, be it eBay or other online stores.

I'll probably finally have my systems fully put up on shelves this weekend, so I'll try to remember to post photos/lists of my TI stuff. If not, send me a PM to remind me next week.

Back